Long splash screen load times? Try this.

domfliss

Hi guys,

You no doubt all use this already and I'm probably 100 years late on this one......but, if you haven't used it before......

There is a known problem with FSX preloading the default flight and then reloading when you say go fly. One of the Aces team (Phil Taylor?) gave a work around that seems to help.

In your fsx.cfg add a line in the MAIN section...

[Main]
DisablePreload=1

Thanks to Phill for this.

Dom

It didn't help me, but I didn't think it would.  I don't go to startup screen; I bypass it.

I go directly to my favorite aircraft sitting on the ramp at my favorite airport and start from there.  I have several different startups for different aircraft at different airports.  My desktop has an icon for each one.

It takes me about 2 minutes to load up FSX that way.  But since I only fly Orbx areas I don't have ultimate terrain or GEX or mesh loading up either.

Noel

Run fsx on a raided ssd set up, 23 seconds from clicking the icon to flying with a LOD of 4.5 and 34 seconds with a LOD of 6.5. This includes the time it takes to click the fly now button.

PC boot up time about 12~15 seconds from cold with windows on its own ssd :)

Run fsx on a raided ssd set up, 23 seconds from clicking the icon to flying with a LOD of 4.5 and 34 seconds with a LOD of 6.5. This includes the time it takes to click the fly now button.

PC boot up time about 12~15 seconds from cold with windows on its own ssd :)

This is for users who have slow start up times, not for people who don't have speed issues.

Very true but that is how i fixed my slow load up times, i still have preload=1 enabled btw, Just sharing another possible fix if people are in the market for some new drives. This makes my wd raptor look like a snail.

Very true but that is how i fixed my slow load up times, i still have preload=1 enabled btw, Just sharing another possible fix if people are in the market for some new drives. This makes my wd raptor look like a snail.

Great stuff Paul; there are many possibilities.....best to start off with the cheapest option first and work your way up, LOL.

SSD = Lots of Orbx :P

Dom

I recall trying to live with FSX on my old computer a couple years ago.  It was loaded with mesh, Ultimate Terain, ground textures. all on a single HHD and a rather slow processor and video card.

I'd wake up in the morning and turn on the computer.  Then go brush my teeth.  By then the desktop was showing.  I'd start FSX and then go take a shower.  After the shower get dressed,  Empty the dishwasher and put away all of last night's dinner dishes.  Have a bowl of cereal.  Vacuum the living room.  Read the front page of the morning newspaper.  Check the TV news headlines/  Then go see how far FSX had loaded.  Usually only a few mintues left to go.

When Orbx Global becomes availabel I think I'll get a 500GB SSD for Orbx and use the 240GB SSD I have now as my boot drive.

Noel

Hey Noel. Thats a good idea, exept, that you never  will have clean teeth, and a clean home: Personly: My former 256GB ill think, will be usefull for P3D, for a while, at least.

On my new PC, ive got a Samgsung,Catche64GB combined with a WD Black 1000GB HD, and it isent a good idear,  it is useles, it suks :DeadHorse: 

But its still a prisy thing in Denmark,  512GB SamSung Pro=560 $$ +/- :-[

Best regards

Henrik

Hey Noel. Thats a good idea, exept, that you never  will have clean teeth, and a clean home: Personly: My former 256GB ill think, will be usefull for P3D, for a while, at least.

On my new PC, ive got a Samgsung,Catche64GB combined with a WD Black 1000GB HD, and it isent a good idear,  it is useles, it suks :DeadHorse: 

But its still a prisy thing in Denmark,  512GB SamSung Pro=560 $$ +/- :-[

Best regards

Henrik

hi.I have the Crucial cache drive with dataplex and my hard drive flies along.cheaper than ssds....cheers Bill

Archived