Weird FTX Traffic behaviour issue at Brisbane

Davo79

Hi Everyone,

A really unusual situation I'm encountering with FTX Australia Traffic Version 4.0 in conjunction with ORBX  Brisbane Airport.

I  start up the FSX Simulator and load up my choice of plane at any given gate at ORBX Brisbane Airport, loads all good. Let the plane sit at the gate and slew around and monitor the operation of the FTX Traffic to find Aircraft taxiing to take off on runway 19 whilst planes land 01 causing a conflict. Continue to let it go for a bit longer and start to see aircraft landing runway 19, aircraft taking off runway 19 and still aircraft landing 01.

Have installed A1 smooth thinking this may help but it hasn't.

I find one aircraft lined up on Runway 19 whilst another is about to land 01?????

I'm puzzled and out of options??

Not sure if this is do with a BGL fault, Duplicate AFCAD files or whether its weather related from confusion between default weather and REX Environment Extreme 2.0 I've got installed.

I'm about to delete REX Environment Extreme 2.0 having just ordered in REX essential plus with Overdrive.

The odd thing happens at Melbourne Airport as well but I know the crosswind option is selected.

Anyone out there who knows a solution to my problem to fix this traffic issue at Brisbane, any assistance you can provide is much appreciated.

Cheers Guys

Davo79

runway use is dependent on wind direction.  not certain the exact value . but wind from the north up to ceratin deg to east /west and runway 1 is used. from south and up to certain deg E and W and runway 19.

if wind is on the borderline and shift a few degrees over will cause fsx to suddenly switch runways while still having some aircraft on the prev runway

this can happen at any airport. another of fs ai engine limitations

The above post is correct. Wind direction determines which runway is used although there are a couple of additional factors at play with parallel and crosswind runways. Once an aircraft is given a particular runway to take off or land, that runway is locked in for that aircraft even though a wind change has caused a shift to another runway. Where the wind direction is very close to the switch point, you will have the situation you describe where aircraft will constantly be switched between runways. When this occurs, ATC sees the two runways as completely separate and will allow normal movements from each end at the same time. FSX recognises AI aircraft from quite a long way out so when a wind change causes a change of runways, it could take up to 30 mins for traffic already in the air and locked into the first runway, to all land and clear that runway.

Unfortunately, this is the way the FSX engine was designed and nothing can be done about it. The best way to reduce the occurrence of this is to avoid wind changes close to 90 degrees to the runway and to not make weather changes on the fly through a FSX session.    

Archived