Flashing FTX Runways - Anacortes, Orcas, Bella-Coola

rooby007

Hi Jarrad,

Thanks for persisting for me!

I've uploaded a copy of some files at the attached link.

It includes my FSX.cfg file, the aircraft cfg file for default C172, cameras.cfg and a saved flight circling at 1200ft over Bella Coola which always presents the issue.

Note, in the aircraft cfg file, the right wingtip camera is standard (clipmode=minimal) and will show runway flickering as you orbit the field - regardless of zoom level.

I have modified the left wingtip camera (clipmode=normal) and flickering will not be evident... however, I have to position the camera a long way from the aircraft to avoid clipping it.

Hope this helps reproduce the issue at your end.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Andy

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c9mm1z1g3fttzeu/ioiM9ScPjy

Thanks for that Andy, that's exactly what I need. Am currently in transit for the next 48 hours, but will have a look at your files on Tuesday once I'm settled - thanks for your patience. 

In the meantime, if you could keep discussion of your issue to this thread only just so we can keep track of everything in one place, that'd be enormously appreciated. I fully appreciate that this is a frustrating issue for you, but rest assured we are all keeping on top of this to try and resolve it for you as best we can.

Cheers,

Jarrad

G'day Andy,

I've had a look and test of your cfg files tonight, unfortunately again I can't replicate the flicker issue with either right or left camera views on your 172 aircraft.cfg on my setup, and looking through your cameras.cfg there isn't anything amiss. 

A couple of last points from my end, as I'm going to have to mark your issue as "noted". I've discussed this with several other airport developers whilst trying to resolve the issue, and we have all come to the same conclusion that this is definitely a zoom/LOD related issue as outlined by both myself and Russ in earlier posts on this topic. We're aware that your setup is unique, and therefore you are experiencing flicker issues where the majority of users are not, however without being able to replicate your issue directly, we are not in a position to be able to modify the runway shape and LOD shifts to suit your setup. A last couple of suggestions raised (both of which I'm sure you've already looked into yourself after the re-install): 

1. Do you have a custom flight saved as your default? Custom wing views etc from a custom saved flight may possibly be carrying over. 

2. Are you aware of the ctrl-shift-enter/ctrl-shift-backspace controls to shift the camera viewpoint when in aircraft camera mode? This would alleviate the issues you are having with the wingclip tweaks you are using to remove the flicker. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Hi Jarrad,

Thanks for the response. It's really frustrating that none of you guys are able to replicate this problem at your end. I'm sure that if you could you would agree the level of flickering at 1200ft isn't acceptable for a VFR product.

What's really confusing me is why it's so bad at Bella Coola, moderate at Orcas Island / Anacortes and non-existent at Milford Sound. What's the difference in the way these products were developed? I was interested to see in another post that another customer has similar problems to me at Bella, but none at Stewart - but apparently they are modeled the same way!! I'd be curious to see if I have problems at Stewart.

I know my setup probably is unique... but that's not really an excuse. I doubt there are two systems on this whole forum which are exactly the same. And I'm certainly not the only one with similar issues - there are many other threads containing quite a few customers who have similar issues.

I really like your products - but how am I to make an assessment of my next purchase? I know this stuff pushes the boundaries, and I think we all roll the dice on what frame rates we'll get with a new addon, but this flickering is completely unexpected. And it's not like I'm running crap hardware - it may not be the best available. but I took a lot of time to spec this machine just for FSX and would have thought it would make a better fist of this scenery. 

Disappointed.

Andy, 

Unfortunately I'm at the end of my line for possible resolutions for this one. FSX isn't a perfect sim, and we do our absolute best (including a very rigorous beta testing process) to ensure that our products work across as many different setups as possible. I think you'd agree that we've done everything reasonably possible to try and replicate the issue at our end to help you resolve this.

The best fix you've got is to use non-default camera settings on the aircraft you wish to use at these airports, whether that be by editing the appropriate aircraft.cfg, using viewpoint change controls in the sim itself (ctr-shift-enter, etc), or a combination to the two. The camera viewpoints are the key to the problem on your system, our ground polys are a symptom of this issue, rather than the cause. 

The particular type of runway used at these three airports makes clever use of LODs in the .mdl to directly avoid flickering with the terrain underneath; there is obviously something on your system (whether that be caused by an internal factor within FSX, or an external factor such as GPU settings) that is not agreeing and causing the greatly exaggerated flicker. In answer to your question, there are two main different types of ground poly that can be used at airports in FSX, of which the same type was used at the three airports you are having trouble with. The other method provides a much more flicker-proof poly, but does have it's own limitations (at a development level) due to being a legacy method kept over from FS2002. I can't speak for ORBX airports I haven't had a hand in developing, but this would be the reason you are getting issues at some airports and not at others. Of my own airports, Anacortes is the only that uses this particular ground poly method; all others (YBRM, KSFF, KJAC, YBCS, YPJT, YCUN, YBLN) use the other method. 

I'm sorry we couldn't fix your issue.

Cheers,

Jarrad

• 11 months later...

Archived