NASA STS-126 Shuttle launch Countdown

Tim Harris

Just a heads up for the petrol heads here ;D

First launch attempt (70%) is at 10:55am Saturday 15th Nov 2008 (AEST)

further launch attempts are scheduled for Sunday (30%)  and Monday (70%) (AEST) if conditions are not right

NASA Live TV link http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/

There wont be many more of these launches, as they are supposed to be retiring them in a year or two

so don't miss out.

I am wishing them a successful launch and a safe return

Isn't the internet a wonderful thing.  We have come a long way since the old NASA CUCMe repeater of 10 - 12 yrs ago with it's pixellated 340x420 odd pixel screens that struggled to display an approximation of movement on a 4800 or 9600 baud connection  :D

Yes indeed, I try never to miss one of these spectacular examples of mans technological achievements.

Cheers and thanks for reminding us all,

Isn't the internet a wonderful thing. Yes indeed, I try never to miss one of these spectacular examples of mans technological achievements.

The last time I watched a real life space adventure was the first landing on the moon in the late sixties on B+W TV - now its in colour on my laptop  8)

Isn't the internet a wonderful thing. Yes indeed, I try never to miss one of these spectacular examples of mans technological achievements.

The last time I watched a real life space adventure was the first landing on the moon in the late sixties on B+W TV - now its in colour on my laptop   8)

Well, when that landing took place (Apollo 11) the place I lived in had no TV and we had to wait for a couple of weeks for the news reels to be flown in  :D however I do remember huddling around the Shortwave radio with my parents to listen to the broadcast live... What an amazing time that was.

My favorite part is the re-entry, when they show the Pilots HUD view out of the front windows, as the shuttle plunges through the atmosphere and clouds and turns for the runway

Also love the tense moment when they lose radio contact during re-entry for about 30 seconds, you know...Endeavor, this is Hoouston, do you read me? .......Endeavor, this is Hoouston, do you read me? ....long long pause.....Hooustin, this is Endeavor, we read you load and clear!

Apollo 11 took place long before i was around, but watching that grainy touchdown video still gives me goosebumps. Amazing achievement, even more when you consider there is more computing power in a modern cars engine managment system, than in the whole NASA space program of 1969....

"three feet two and a half down....four forward....four forward....drifting to the right a little....picking up some dust....contact right, Houston, tranquility base here....the eagle has landed." AWESOME!

Russ.

Yes i have watched Nasa live link before and find it very interesting indeed, i have sat there for ages just marvelling at the space station and docking of the shuttle its a great watch. Gods Speed to all on board.

cheers

Iain.

I worked as the systems engineer at the deep space tracking station outside Canberra for about 4 years in the late 90's. The job was basically an electronics crache but being on site, at hand when NASA was doing interesting stuff like landing things on Mars or even just launching stuff was a great perk. It was us that named "rocket cam" as they call it now. Stump cam in the cricket hadn't been in long and on the Cassini launch they had a camera facing back down the length of the launcher ... so we naturally called it rocket cam and the name stuck :)

Archived