yallu

I'm thinking of upgrading from:

Mobo: IN9 32X-MAX WIFI nForce 680i SLI

CPU: Core Duo 2 E6600 2.4GHz, 4MB, FSB1066 Boxed

GPU: e-GeForce 8800 GTX KO Superclocked PCI-E

-> to ->

CPU: CORE 2 QUAD Q9650, 3.0GHz, 12MB, S775

GPU: GeForce 280GTX OC HydroGen 1024MB, PCI-E, GDDR3, HDCP, 2 x DVI

Mobo stays the same. You think I'm going to be getting a whole lotta new FPS if I do it?

Yeah I would not bother upgrading the GPU unless you do other types of gaming as it won't make much difference with FSX.  I just went from an 8800GTX to GTX260 myself, and FSX is still limited by my CPU clock as before. 

On the other hand FSX scales very well with CPU clock speed, so you will see a gain with the CPU upgrade, not only from the clock speed increase but also from the cache size increase.  The cache alone will give you a 10% gain.  Going from 2 cores to 4 will also help with reducing stutters and blurries as terrain textures will load in faster. 

So if you're not a gamer I'd keep the 8800 and do just the CPU. 

I already have the Zalman CNPS9700NT if I can only rip it off from the current CPU in one piece... I'm currently running my E6600 at 9x325MHz giving 2.93 GHz. No problems at all. Not going to upgrade the mobo at this time as I don't want to mess my windows that much. Should be easy to replace the CPU and GPU Operating System wise. I hope.

Ah yup IC now  bit curious why you would change the Graphics engine from the 8800 considering the Processor is the real key to FSX performance.

Heh, two reasons, well three:

1. FSX isn't the only game I need more FPS with...

2. While I have no proof of it, I suspect my 8800 overheats at times causing my rFactor league races end in computer freezes every now and then. The new GPU is water cooled and should stay around 40 C. At least that's the promise (well, promises in the HW and SW business are what they are, mostly all lies, but if it's 50% true I'm happy enough ;D ).

3. I'm putting it in my company's tab so it doesn't matter that much if it costs a little extra. :)

Interesting I have an E6850 3Gh Dual Core and nVidia 8800 GTS its an early model- with supposedly better specs that the GTX (at the time) and I drive my rFactor with FPS is locked at 60 Hz the same as the refresh rate of the monitors, incidentally it is totally pointless running any higher. I have never had issues with MoH Airborne, GTR2, rFactor, FSX or Fs9 - they all seem to be quite happy.

That's just another confirmation to my theory: every piece of hardware is unique. Even if it's from the same batch from the same assembly line :).

EDIT:

Just logged some of it with RivaTuner for the heck of it (with rF Ultra settings @ 1280x1024x32):

Core clock / ROP: 621 MHz

Core clock / shader: 1458 MHz

Memory clock: 999 MHz

Core temp: 82 C

Ambient temp: 67 C

Fan speed: 1900-1950 RPM

Fan duty cycle: 70-75%

It seems 82 isn't out of specs. Should be ok. But still I sometimes get those complete computer hangups I suspect are GPU related.

The new GPU is water cooled and should stay around 40 C. At least that's the promise (well, promises in the HW and SW business are what they are, mostly all lies, but if it's 50% true I'm happy enough ;D ).

Which radiator and pump setup are you going with?  Water would be fun to play with but for the price it takes to set it up you can just pay the difference for a faster GPU.  My GTX 260 for example won't even break 60 at a 710MHz clock, and that's on air cooling.

Archived