Opinions?

Hugh Johnston

if its for FSX, please get a better card than the 9500gt :o  To make it easier to understand, the Geforce 9500GT is a halved 9600GT, it still uses 128 bit memory interface btw.

settle for a 9800gt $160/ 9800gtx $265/ or a double card 9800gx2 $465 ;D prices are from MSY sydney http://www.msy.com.au  (the 9500gt is $86)

I don't know anything about the ATI cards atm, its been ages since I had one

the rest of the system looks just like mine apart from the card

Thanks guys,

The graphics card isn't new. It was part of my old machine but have left room to upgrade later because I thought that it might hold it back  ;)

Craig:

Very similar and I'm looking forward to getting everything loaded on and enjoying FTX a whole lot more  :) How does YMML go for you Craig? I haven't bought it yet but I am considering.

Mozz:

I will keep an eye on vista as it is a 1st for me. Lots of reading to do!

Cheers

Hugh

I'd be cautious about 64 Bit Vista,

Could you give us the low down on your doubts about 64bits please Mozz - I have two rigs running Vista 64bits at the minute and (fingers crossed) no troubles yet - what should I look out for?

if its for FSX, please get a better card than the 9500gt :o 

Also Meatycus is right on - my suggestion would be to go for the most powerful card you can get - the GTX 280 in a similar setup to yours that I use is doing well, but anything less may not cope as well as expected.  ;)

Hi Hugh,

YMML runs ok, it does get a bit slow if I wind everything to the right, but if I leave the autogen set to normal, and keep the scenery radius set to medium, it runs fine.

I probably neeed another 2gb of Ram, but just havent got to buy that as yet. Should have bought the whole 4gb when I had the chance.....ahh but the old hip pocket and the minister of finance, (aka the wife), stepped in though :-\

The ATI 4850 is good, but I am still tweaking the settings to get the sweet spot. Been ages since I had an ATI card as well, but so far so good. The ATI 4870 or the GTX 280 both were just of the budget, but I can upgrade further if I need to.

Overall runs FTX /FSX way better than the old AMD Athlon 3000+ ever did  ;D ;D

Regards

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

Archived