SAK - Sinkhole NW of Mule Creek Airport

M-Sauce

Ran into this sinkhole after taking off from Mule Creek Airport and flying along the Haines Highway towards Haines Junction. It looks to go all the way to the center of the earth. Coordinates are in the top left.

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

Hi Mariano,

good catch, thanks. Looks like an issue with a river polygon. We'll look into it.

Cheers, Holger

And some more remarks from a flight from Mule Creek tp Haines Junction:

1. At Hains Junction there is a man sitting in front of the airport-building. He is sitting 3 feet away from his chair...

2. The road (highway) is embadded in an aisle of terrain (that look different from the normal terrain around) and crosses a river without a bridge only on this aisle (between Carthleen lake and Hains Junction).

3. Is it possible to have a pipeline were a pipeline should be? I was a bid suprised not to find a modeled pipeline... 

Nevertheless I had a great journey! Keep up the good work, Holger and Team!

Hi DocBird,

good catch on the guy doing yoga at Haines Junction. I've also spotted the place where the highway corridor texture cuts across a dry river and added that to our to-do list.

Creating a 3D pipeline would be very difficult because we'd have to place it as individual segments that are short enough to allow for following all the small terrain undulations, meaning thousands of individually placed segments. Instead, in locations where a large pipeline runs above ground, like parts of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline along Richardson Highway (Hwy 4), we placed a white linear texture with a shadow "baked in" that gives a 3-D impression from the air (see screenshot). In the area between Haines Junction and Kathleen Lake, however, Google Earth indicates that the pipeline is buried and thus we just placed the visible corridor with a dirt road along it.

Cheers, Holger

post-375-0-34751600-1370018331_thumb.jpg

Creating a 3D pipeline would be very difficult because we'd have to place it as individual segments that are short enough to allow for following all the small terrain undulations, meaning thousands of individually placed segments. Instead, in locations where a large pipeline runs above ground, like parts of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline along Richardson Highway (Hwy 4), we placed a white linear texture with a shadow "baked in" that gives a 3-D impression from the air (see screenshot). In the area between Haines Junction and Kathleen Lake, however, Google Earth indicates that the pipeline is buried and thus we just placed the visible corridor with a dirt road along it.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks, Holger for the feed back!

I thought that it would be easier to do a 3D pipeline but now understand that you handled it the way you did. I enjoy your (and your teams) work very much!

I already asked in the general Forum (but did not get an answer yet): Any chance to see a preview of any add-on Airports for SAK soon?

Many happy landings!

Till

Archived