Crash near Valdez (PAVD)

dscalora

Hello,

I have a problem near Valdez, Alaska. Every time I am flying eastbound from Anchorage towards Juneau or Cordova I get a crash to desktop/restart just east of Valdez. I have tried this several times with the NGX and J41 and it consistently crashes at the same point, abeam PAVD. I was able to fly from Juneau to Anchorage overflying PAVD with no problem, it only happens when I depart PANC. I am using SAK, Ultimate AK, sim-wings PANC with terrain option and the NGX and J41 and have followed all the compatibility guidelines. I am wondering if this is a scenery problem or VAS issue, what makes me think it could be scenery related is the fact that it ALWAYS happens at the same spot. Any ideas?

Tried flying the F1 Mustang into the region last night with same results- CTD. I noticed another thread on this forum describing a similar problem near Gustavus, so I'm thinking it's a problem with SAK

Hi there,

we didn't encounter any crashes like that during Beta testing but will run a few flights again in the area you describe. In the meantime please double-check that you don't have any other add-on for the Valdez area that includes airport files. Run a Windows search of your entire FSX folder for .bgl files with PAVD or CKU (Cordova Mun) as part of their name; anything outside of the FTX SAK folders, except for the ADE_FTX_SAK_ elevation adjustment files in \Scenery\World\scenery, could be potentially incompatible add-ons.

Cheers, Holger

Hi there,

completed a flight from PANC to east of Cordova/Copper River in the A2A B17 without any issues. Display settings and ProcMon logs as described here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/57334-ctdntdlldll-around-gustavussak/#entry515723

Hopefully other users will report back from similar trips and whether they've encountered any issues.

BTW, if the crashes occur only after overflying Valdez then it's unlikely there's an add-on conflict with it. More likely, some scenery/airport location east of the crash line, though, admittedly, it's odd that the crash doesn't occur when you fly in the opposite direction.

Cheers, Holger

Thank you for looking into this, if there's nothing wrong with the scenery then there's obviously something wrong with my setup. I'll keep digging into it to see what I can find. I scanned my FSX folder and the only PAVD, CKU, and PACV files are all FTX. I did see two elevation adjustments for each airport, one under scenery\world\scenery and the other under orbx\scripts. Is it supposed to be like that? They were dated around Oct. 2011.

edit: the double files were named this

ADE_FTX_SAK_PAVD_elevation_adjustment.BGL

ADE_FTX_SAK_PACV_elevation_adjustment.BGL

ADE_FTX_SAK_CKU_elevation_adjustment.BGL

OK, just had a successful flight! I ended up downloading Holger's updated batch file and that seems to have solved my issue. Previously, I had been using the original batch file.

Hi again,

thanks for the update, I suppose I can flag this one as resolved then.

The elevation adjustment files in the \ORBX\Scripts\Custom.na\OFF folder are inactive duplicates in case a customer somehow loses the active ones in \Scenery\World\scenery.

Cheers, Holger

Archived