Terrain.dll CTD in SAK

ramonb

My first terrain.dll CTDs in 7 years.

Yesterday I had the same issue of floating houses as some people are reporting at Skagway, but this happened first at Juneau and later in Skagway.

In both cases I tried to refresh the scenery. (I have it mapped to the keyboard Ctrl-Alt-S), but in both cases it got stuck at around 98% and afterwards I got the dreaded terrain.dll CTD and FSX froze completely.

I have FSUIPC saving flights every 4 minutes, so I tried to restart my approach to Skagway but then again a terrain.dll CTD.

I was only able to restart by creating a new flight at Friday Harbor and then reloading an even earlier saved flight. (Around 20 minutes before the latest save).

I followed Holger’s compatibility guide with UTX Alaska.

I know these ones are quite difficult to track down and I don’t have more info to post; son any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Ramon,

my first suggestion would be to temporarily deactivate any western North American scenery-addons in your scenery library other than FTX. The idea is to compartmentalize the issue and eliminate possible incompatibilities. If the crashes occur with only SAK active then we can drill down deeper into other potential causes.

Cheers, Holger

Hello Holger

Will do, later today and report back.

Currently (after I installed FSX Gold) I have not yet reinstalled any RTMM or FTX EU scenery.

I will disable UTX Alaska and My Traffic 2013. If it fails I will disable all other scenery FTX areas and work my way from there.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

After a few days, I thought the terrain.dll CTD was solved after moving Tongass bellow FTX library entries, but today I got another one.

I should point out that I have mostly been flying over FTX areas and eastern SAK only, had not gone or mixed with UTX Alaska territory

Intended flight plan was PADQ Kodiak -> PAMD Middleton Island -> PACY Yakataga -> PAYA -> PAJN (PADQ is the only non ORBX scenery)

This time it was triggered just after an early morning landing and parking at PACY Yakataga.

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: terrain.dll, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb59

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0005595e

Faulting process id: 0x1d24

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce3218595a39b8

Faulting application path: D:\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: D:\FSX errain.dll

Report Id: 1b1d7ed8-9ebc-11e2-8aba-00224d9e93f5

Exception 0xc0000005 is an access violation. I can see the full crash report (I can upload it if needed), but frankly I can't figure what might be causing it.

Cheers.

Hi Ramon,

did you happen to use v2 of the Ultimate Alaska X batch file? Another customer reported CTDs within SAK that were resolved after using the newer batch file: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/56683-ultimate-alaska-x-and-ultimate-terrain-x-canada-compatibility-with-ftx-southern-alaska-sak/

Cheers, Holger

Hello

Unfortunately the batch file trick didn't work.

It just happened at PAGY

I landed at Skagway and had to reload the scenery library due to floating houses.

It started raining, so I parked the WACO and ended flight.

Chose another aircraft T182T and game crashed when loading reached 100%

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: terrain.dll, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb59

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00023ef4

Faulting process id: 0xf4

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce332214dfe345

Faulting application path: D:\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: D:\FSX errain.dll

Report Id: d1cae005-9f1c-11e2-8701-00224d9e93f5

Note: I noticed that the scenery library reload to fix the floating houses took a long time, and actually spent a lot of time rebuilding the database. Why?

I have no new scenery at all and it usually it does its thing quite fast.

Cheers.

Archived