Helo Film platform

Bandit

While at YWOL doing hover entry\exit re-cert yesterday we also had one of the video equipped Squirrels down for familarisation training. Thought you guys would be interested...

This bird has a studio\cinematic HD TV camera attached to the nose. Operated from the back seat by the cameraman, it can zoom in from over 5NM away and pick out people on the ground full screen. Once airborne it has a omni antenna that pivots down below the skids and beams pictures (and infrared) back to a base station or portable monitor. Its a tool the SES is using more and more in during flood monitoring and land searches. An amazing bit of kit. Cost you ask? Well put simply the camera is 3 times the cost of the Squirrel (believe it or not!)

Firebird 255 (VH-ARQ)

Posted Image

Axsys/Cineflex V14 Multi-Sensor mark Two Troll Camera

Posted Image

Cockpit - note pilot has 7" video screen on right hand side

Posted Image

Camera operator station in the rear

Posted Image

Omni antenna mounted on the skid. Shown in the stowed position - It pivots down during operation and can beam images over 65Km range (or 200Km plus with booster)

Posted Image

7" hand held TV monitor.

Posted Image

Very nice bandit, I agree that the AS350 is a great helo to fly in (well I prefer being at the controls!) I have also flown a bell 407 a few times that has a similar camera aray but the camera operator sits in the front as there is a little mini studio in the back for a reporter on the left side. Great pics.

Archived