Loss of 'Frames' in Cockpit View

Jockos

Folks, hello,

First post here.  Happy to be guided if not quite 'in line', I am sure you will let me know.

Despite my average level system , I have enjoyed the trasnsition to FSX/orbx and experienced very acceptable FPS's (well IMO, as I am a IFR 'flyer' and like descending into lovely terrain and scenery and that has always been most pleasant).

OK, my problem

For no apparent reason in the last day or two (yes I know, what have you done  ::)) on approach, to at about 50' above the threshold, frames go from the high teens to 1-2 FPS!!  Makes for an interesting touchdown, I think not!!  Obviously I am in cockpit view mode and these frames persist in that view.  If I change to a view outside the aircraft, I have 20+ FPS.  If I go to overwing view, back to 2-3 FPS.  So, any view within the aircraft, I have a serious loss of fps's.  I have not experienced this before.  This phenomenon occurs after at least a one hour flight.

So, back to, (yes I know, what have you done  ::)), after purchasing GREEN, I went back to look at JV's 'tweaks' to ensure that I had everything up to scratch.  There was little to do, but changed a few settings.  After the above, I returned to my original settings, to no avail.

I do not believe that the installation of GREEN has anything to do with my issue here.  To that end, I feel a little tentative in writing here but however, I can see from the posts on this forum, there are very much more learned folks than myself, in FSX/hardware matters.  I suspect a hardware problem.

There are other questions, perhaps.

What add on were you using?  E-Jets Wilco.

What other add ons have you?  PMDG 747, LDS 767

Have you tried using them to experience this issue?  No I have not. (these together with E-Jets, were working very acceptably until recently)  Of course can do this, but was looking for a fast solution  :)

My system specs:-

CPU E6600

Mobo GA-965P-DS4

RAM 4GB

Vid GeForce 7900 GT

In summary, maybe I am missing soimething very obvious or there is much to do to track this down.  Any assistance to the bewildered, would be most appreciated.

Hello,

I shall respond to my own post as I have found the issue and it may interest some.

I checked the 'scenery' settings again and wound back 'Water Effects' to Mid 1.x.  This has done the trick.  While I believe that I have had this set higher at some time, obviously my vid card cannot handle High 2.x (shader perhaps).  I will take it up a notch at a time to see how I go.  Certainly know that High 2.x, 'breaks' it. 

Issues one must contend with, with an average end system  :(

Regards

Jock McIntyre

Hi Jock,

I assume that with the "High 2.x" you mean your water setting, mid 2.x is more than enough with the High setting alot of people suffer from erratic fsX behaviour for various reasons.

Also tuning off : buildings casts shadows, lensflare, aircraft casts shadow in itself, aircraft casts shadow on ground, are some of those framerate eaters

I also may asume that you have implemented the recommended "tweaks"

Hello Wolter

Thanks for responding.

I was using the advice in the GREEN manual :- 'Important note on Water Effects - We recommend setting to Low, Mid or High 2.x'

At least High 2.x gives erratic behaviour close to the ground.  Mid 1.x has fixed this.  I will see if I can work up to say Low 2.x

Yes, I have followed those other reccomendations.

Thanks again, Wolter.

Regards

Jock McIntyre

Archived