Win8 - reinstall...sigh....

Vonduck

Hi guys - after much ado and frustration I had to do a complete OS reinstall so went with Win8 and SLI...no probs on the FSX front so far and everything is playing nice....so far... how ever I have discovered that my multimonitor setup needs to be unplugged for win8 to boot up! Very odd...its like it sees only one monitor then I have to physically unplug all the others and re-plug them in each time for win8 to see them! I was wondering if there were any ideas out there or if any other win 8 users have noticed some odd things like this? -thanks Doug

To be frank it will be a VERY cold day in hell before I move to Windows 8, from my testing on a clients PC with Win 8 there is little to offer the average user or gamer unless you prepared to spend an unearthly amount of money on a touch screen.

Internally it functions the very same as Win 7 , so why spend more money for essentially the same OS with frills.

To be frank it will be a VERY cold day in hell before I move to Windows 8, from my testing on a clients PC with Win 8 there is little to offer the average user or gamer unless you prepared to spend an unearthly amount of money on a touch screen.

Internally it functions the very same as Win 7 , so why spend more money for essentially the same OS with frills.

Yep agree......... Win8 officially sucks and have reinstalled everything as i moved back to Win7....so many less issues with everyh=thing i must admit..it wasa big excercise in frustration

Now everthing is as it should be....i have now learned to leave well enough alone!

That's a strange problem Doug, must have something to do with your motherboard, video card, etc.

I'm using an Intel z77-55k and GTX 670 with a DVI monitor and a smaller VGA only monitor I bought from Goodwill for charts, EFB, etc.

The only problem I have is that in order to use the VGA monitor, I have to plug the adapter into the primary port on the GTX 670 which causes the bootup to take place on the smaller VGA monitor, but as soon as Win8 boots to the login screen it automatically reverts to my main monitor per my settings in nVidia CP. This all happens in a span of <10 seconds, which is awesome!

I've been happily using Windows 8 since launch and haven't had a reason to go back to Windows 7 yet (yes I am using Start8 from Stardock for the start menu). I'm not sure what caused your problem, but I'm sure you're not the only one. Hopefully when Microsoft releases the first big service pack (codenamed Blue) later this year they'll iron some of these problems out! ;)

I am using windows 8 and having some stability issues with FSX, despite having it installed on a separate partition. If I try and tab out of FSX to another application such as REX latitude or Plan G, It crashes. I suppose one work around it to purchase an additional monitor, lol. I know I didn't have this particular issue with Windows 7!

I hope that the service pack addresses some of these issues. My advice would not to jump ship to a new OS until there is at least 1 service pack release.

Cheers

Dom

Archived