Wales coastline

Sheepherd

It would appear that the coast line of south wales is inaccurate especially around the Carmarthen Bay area. I am also unable to see local roads or identify local towns, Carmarthen , St Clears . It is only just possible to see a city like Swansea. The Gower, particularly Worms Head is very poor. My suspicion is that you have used a sat picture taken at low tide ( we hav a 30 -40 foot tide range ) and filled all mud flats in as land. Oh Yes the Gwendraith river, which leads to Pembury airport is a small river not a major water way. I bought the package particularly for its reported accuracy. I have simply down loaded the package and instlled it.

Hi,

Thanks for that.

Now can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing where you think its wrong as i have check and compared to google earth and it looks fine (see below) also note you won't find your local road as we are not photoreal we do have all the major roads in there correct location.

post-17521-0-87164100-1362782352_thumb.j

post-17521-0-74817300-1362782365_thumb.j

Paul

Hi

.Posted Image

Your coastline

Posted Image

The real coastline

and for your info this is the start of the 'Mach loop'

Posted Image

and this is your view

Posted Image

further on through the route there appears to be large quantities of sand, something in very short supply in rural mid Wales. It seems to me that I was rather mislead about this produc when listening to couple of other users. I was expecting some more real world accuracy.

As far as I am concerned you may close this. I have stopped using your product as lowlevel VFR nav seems a bit unrealistic.

regards

John

Hi,

The pictures you have shown are Default fsx and not FTX EU WLS.

Try setting FTX Central to Europe and check again, if you still see the same then something has gone wrong and we can try and address the problem.

Here are 3 shots i took showing Default fsx vs FTX EU WLS vs Google earth

Default fsx

post-17521-0-88699300-1362871789_thumb.j

FTX EU WLS

post-17521-0-97665200-1362871796_thumb.j

Google earth

post-17521-0-82499000-1362871803_thumb.j

Paul

Sorry but I have never used default fsx scenery and have no idea what it looks like.

I do have europe selected and when I turn your trees on or off they respond accordingly.

However I will get rid of all dubiously sourced scenery, remove Orbx from the system and re-install Eng and Wales ( the Eng update is in the Wales package). I would offer to do a new download but that's going to be a last resort. I think it took four attempts and I think my friend is on his third or fourth try.

It may take me a day or to as the lambs have started arriving. ( Yes I know we spoil our sheep and don't have many anyway)

The final test will be if I can find my house and watch the sheep from the air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????

The final test will be if I can find my house and watch the sheep from the air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ???? ???? ??? ???

But it's not photo scenery! ::)

FTX Wales is about as accurate as we are able to make it using landclass and vector LC. Any more accuracy is not feasibly possible using FSX landclass based scenery. We re-swept the entire Wales landmass three times to ensure there were no erroneous areas and we believe it's as good as it can get. As Paul and Vlad's screenshots clearly show, the water, coastlines and sand banks match Google Earth perfectly in our product.

But from your screenshots it appears the installation has not gone well and you're showing default FSX. I don't think re-downloading is the solution at all since the installer completed without any error messages. Rather, we need to find out why the WLS entries don't seem to be active in your FSX Scenery Library.

Also please do not expect to see your street and house. For some reason since releasing Europe regions there has been a lot of misunderstanding about what Orbx FTX regions will provide; and being able to find your street and house is simply not part of our product offering, nor have we ever claimed that level of accuracy.

Try these steps first of all so we can debug your installation:

1. Run FTX Central, select Europe, then press Apply.

2. Start FSX then select "World > Scenery Library" from your menus and then share a screenshot of the entries shown there.

Hi

As far as I am concerned you may close this. I have stopped using your product as lowlevel VFR nav seems a bit unrealistic.

regards

John

Hi John,

As JV rightly says, you need to appreciate the difference between using landclass, and photoreal - if you want to use photoreal you will need to put up with stutters and stalls as the sheer amount of data clogs your system.

You should also appreciate the huge amount of work that goes into the hand crafting of textures and autogen placing 'with reference' to the sattelite image. This allows the scenery to place approximate texture to the real image. The advantage is the high frame rates that Orbx achieve with even medium spec systems.

By all means try photorteal, but if you then use a weather engine, and replacement textures, designer aircraft and maybe traffic and the oither add ons, you'll find that the quality suffers to the extend you'll be frustrated.

Orbx present the best solution given the restrictions of existing flight simulator programmes. - and they are responsive to requests from customers who suggest tweaks and additions because of their knowledge of specific locations. For example if you are reading this guys, there are very few trees near RAF Valley on Anglesea!

I use to use photoreal to recreate flying lessons when I was learning how to follow a PLOG in VRF navigation. It was handy to practice following a heading whilst timing between waypoints, and there was pleasure when I occasionally arrived in the right pace at the right time.

You can still do this with Orbx as the main landmarks are included - lakes, towns main roads intersections. Just don't rely on seeing your car parked in the drive!!

Sorry but I have never used default fsx scenery and have no idea what it looks like.

?? I guess if you are using MS FSX, you are using default FSX scenery whether you like it or not. :) ORBX is replacing the default FSX scenery tiles with custom made ones.

On other note - makes me wonder, whether you've unzipped (preferably with a non MS unzip program) the downloaded file into a separate subdirectory and from this directory initiated the install. In W7 you can click on the zip file, it opens the zipped directory and you may be tempted to go ahead with the install from there. It WILL NOT run the installer correctly. But surely you know all this... It is all described in the instructions.

Archived