Lost controls

Quinn

I broke the rules and installed more than one thing at a time - green, and several freeware AC

Now I have lost all my panning controls in cockpit view - the hatswitch just gives me 8 views and even if I try invoking SHIFT+ "O" I still cant PAN around

......... been driving me mad for days

Any ideas? - other than re-instal of course

Backup the following folder/files and should you ever have an issue dump them back in problem solved. Of course you need clean files and non corrupted too start with..........

Local Disk C/Documents and Settings/User Name/Application Data/Microsoft/FSX  <---------If you tweak your FSX settings again requires a backup

Local Disk C/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Microsoft/FSX    <----------If you install more addons this lot will have to be backed up again

Local Disk C/Documents and Settings/All Users/Shared Documents/Saitek SD6 Profiles

Talk about dumb - I hadnt thought about it before but I actually never installed the Joystick software on the new machine - it has been working fine (till recently) using what I assume must have been M$ drivers - it is a Logitech extreme digital 3D but I dont think that is the problem

What I did find very interesting is reference to this

Local Disk C/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Microsoft/FSX/etc

On having a look in there I found a Cameras.CFG which I suspect may be where the problem lies - further browsing revealed another copy of Cameras.CFG in Local Disk C/Program Files/Microsoft Games/M...... Flight Simulator X/  - which appears as though it may have been the original

Any further ideas?

Quinn to start with remove the device drivers for the joystick or if you already installed the software uninstall it then remove the joystick and do the following to remove the device drivers to have a fresh start.

Remove Unused Devices

START/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt copy/paste the first line below and hit enter then copy/paste the second line and hit enter.

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

Devmgmt.msc

Go to "View" and click "Show Hidden Devices"

Open up the + sign next to "Human Interface Devices" and right click and select uninstall to any greyed out item that relates to your joystick. Go down to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and do the same thing. There maybe greyed out things that you don't know what they are or you know is no longer on your system it's safe to uninstall them and should you make a mistake don't panic they rebuild themselves.

Now install your software or joystick according to the manual so give that a whirl.

Thank you for that }SkOrPn--7 - I will leave it till I am a little bit more "with it" (just bleedin' tired) - besides which I have a great deal of searching to do to find the original driver disks - as my dear boss would laugh as she was saying "I told you, you could never find anything in that mess"  >:( - but she is right as usual - I know they are around here somewhere as I have never thrown anything away, which is half the problem ::)

Thanks Wolter - another dumb question - because my particular model is a few years old now it was NOT listed but I grabbed the one with the closest sounding name - am I safe to assume that they are backwards compatible?

The other thing is that there doesnt appear to be any manual (and I still havent located mine) and I hate running .exe files without some idea of what they do - IF I follow }SkOrPn--7's very nice instructions 1st and then run the Logitech one would that be the best idea?

Just to put a humourous slant to it - I actually turned the other machine off today (just with general frustration and the fact that we were going into town for the day anyway) and after firing it up tonite I just pulled out the USB cable and rebooted before plugging it in again and another reboot - the bloody thing works again :o - but I still think it would probably be a better idea to try the Logitech stuff instead of the M$ stuff anyway ???::)

Thanks Wolter - another dumb question - because my particular model is a few years old now it was NOT listed but I grabbed the one with the closest sounding name - am I safe to assume that they are backwards compatible?

The other thing is that there doesnt appear to be any manual (and I still havent located mine) and I hate running .exe files without some idea of what they do - IF I follow }SkOrPn--7's very nice instructions 1st and then run the Logitech one would that be the best idea?

Just to put a humourous slant to it - I actually turned the other machine off today (just with general frustration and the fact that we were going into town for the day anyway) and after firing it up tonite I just pulled out the USB cable and rebooted before plugging it in again and another reboot - the bloody thing works again :o - but I still think it would probably be a better idea to try the Logitech stuff instead of the M$ stuff anyway ???::)

Hey don't touch it if it aint broke don't meddle with it just enjoy it now it's working again  ;D ;D

On a serious note that advice I gave can be applied to anything and any greyed out item can be uninstalled if you know it's no longer used or on your system. You can go through the whole list and open up everyone and do that too but don't open or touch ones in the following...... "Don't remove any Microsoft devices found under the sound section"

Archived