KSFF - runway and taxiway textures lost at sunshine and sunset

franck66

G'day Franck,

Are you running FSX in DX10 preview mode by any chance? Unfortunately the ground poly for KSFF is not compatible with DX10 preview mode sorry - I've attached a quick screenshot from my setup (FSX DX9).

Regarding your other issue, Graham Eccleston (who created the APX file for KSFF) has given some thoughts to this issue in another thread here - definitely worth a read through.

Cheers,

Jarrad

post-144-0-32507000-1360554567_thumb.jpg

G'day Franck,

The short answer to your question is that FSX DX10 preview mode is a buggy and incomplete piece of coding, and that night lighting in DX10 with this particular style of ground poly (commonly used not only by many ORBX developers, but also other popular airport developers too) has long been a known issue.

In essence, for custom ground polys we use variations on one of two main types. Neither provides us with a perfect solution for the FSX engine - unfortunately Microsoft never provided us with a way to code true ground polys in a native FSX format. As a result, either option we use has drawbacks, and depending on the scope and particulars of any given project, a developer will decide what works best for him. Ask any serious airport developer what issue frustrates him the most, and I will bet you that he will always mention this!

I see in your some of your other screenshots that KJAC is working without dramas at dusk/dawn, even though it uses the same ground poly format. As I understand it, ground polys have particular issues with DX10 when using multiple semi-transparent layers on top of each other, and particularly when the transparency is quite strong (ie >50%). With KJAC, the textures are in the most case 100% solid with other details (lines etc) layered on top - KSFF on the other hand uses around 6 layers of semi-transparent details (lines, dirt, asphalt detailing, pencil markings etc), with the PR .bgl underneath providing the "base" imagery.

Again, sorry that there isn't an easy fix to this (aside from running in DX9 mode, which I would always personally recommend anyway), but I hope this goes a little way to answering your question for you.

Cheers,

Jarrad

G´day Jarrad,

Thanks for your answer. unfortunatly for FPS better in DX10 than in DX9, I.m staying in DX10 preview mode but I have a solution, using KSFF during the day :)

Thanks also for this great scenery. I only fly with orbx scenery, it´s for me a guarantee of quality but to be clear, KSFF as KJAC are for me a new standard of quality. Great great sceneries with lot of details without impact on FPS.

The bad news is that because of this new standard, some other sceneries seems very poor :)

Archived