Question re: Ram

Craig Hanley

On my new setup, I purchased a mobo with 2x1gb DDR3 1333 ram. The board is a Gigabyte EP45T DS3R, so it has 4 DDR3 slots.

I think most people purchase ram in matched pairs, and thats what I have, but the budget didnt stretch that far to get the whole 4gb when I first purchased the gear. I understand the XP wont see all 4gb.

My question is can I populate the other 2 slots with another set of 2x1gb sticks, or do I need to start over with 2x2gb sticks? FSX runs well, but I think the extra ram may help a little.

At least I am not buying a complete system now, since the dollar died in the ass ; :o :o.... as the board and chip alone has now gone up about $150 on what I paid. It seems the price on the ram has only gone up marginally.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Craig

yep ...stick another matched pair in the other 2 slots is ok.

you could go with 2x2G to give you 6Gig and you are ready for Vista64 :)

or 2x1G and you have used your 4 slots ...

or 2x2G and sell the other 2x1G on ebay, leaving you 2 slots for future RAM upgrade....

I've always purchased matched pairs (or 2 generic sticks of same type and brand) of ram sticks and found this to be the safest way

on the few occasions I have tried using mixed ram I got blue screens and random shutdowns

however if you just have the extra sticks lying around and they are of same type, go for it

but get the 2nd 2gb stick when you get the moolah

Archived