'Nehalem' FSX Nirvana???

tennyson

Hi All,

I've just been reading up on my next acquisition. Nehalem and a good motherboard.

The specs are impressive and if it lives up to the hype, who knows, flight simmers might just be that much closer to reality.

Intel's new CPU, Nehalem , or Intel Core i7 as it will be officially known is slated for release (probably in the US) for the 17th of November.

It is believed that they will release 3 separate chips, each aimed at different market sectors.

They are codenamed the XE, P1 and MS3 with core frequencies of 3.2GHz, 2.93GHz and 2.66GHz, respectively.I've just been reading up on my next acquisition. Nehalem and a good motherboard.

The specs are impressive and if it lives up to the hype, who knows, flight simmers might just be that much closer to reality.

Intel's new CPU, Nehalem , or Intel Core i7 as it will be officially known is slated for release (probably in the US) for the 17th of November.

It is believed that they will release 3 separate chips, each aimed at different market sectors.

They are codenamed the XE, P1 and MS3 with core frequencies of 3.2GHz, 2.93GHz and 2.66GHz, respectively.

Tests so far, next to a similar core 2 counterpart yielded a 29% difference and when compared to a similar AMD chipset the figure climbed to 36%.

Initial chipsets are expected to carry 4 cores, but will be released with upscaled cores in future.

So, it all looks rosey, doesn't it?

Well, the motherboard side of things will blow you away as well.

Major manufacturers are already selling motherboards in the US, ahead of the release of the CPU's.

I particularly like Asus boards and as such are at the cutting edge of the new technology with two board available soon.

The P6T and the Rampage (basically a board offered at gamers) have been reviewed and fared well under review.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Both boards come with 6 slots for DDR3 modules running as fast as 1,800 MHz with capacities up to 12GB.

The P6T will support triple SLI, however if you read the fine print, it will not support 3x Nvidia 260 or 280's. The slots are too close together for "fat" cards.

The Rampage's PCI express slots are wider apart, but only offer twin SLI.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There is a plethora of connections on the back of the boards.

The 'Rampage' also has a really cool looking array of buttons on the board! Check the "START" button!

Looks like something out of a Falcon Typhoon!!!!

Of course, it goes without saying that AMD are hot on the heels of Intel. Thier chipsets are also due for release soon, but for my money I'll be sticking with Intel.

This could just end up being a bumper christmas for Flight Simmers throughout the world.......Yo, Ho, Ho!!!!

Frank

P.S. I read a lot of this info from the Intel site and also Tom'd Hardware site and Atom. I'm sure if you type Nehalem in a search engine, there are 1000's more.

A word of caution.

I talked with a representative of an online computer retailer last week. The word they have is that the first Corei7 chips to hit the market will be for servers and will be around $1000 or more. Consumer-desktop chips might be available Q1 2009 but even then the impact on games may be much less than for office applications, perhaps 5-10% unless overclocked.

I repeat this for what it is worth (maybe nothing).

I have no reason to believe these guys know any more than the rest of us. As always, I'm going to wait until the reviews are in before I decide whether an upgrade might be cost-effective.

Cheers,

Noel.

It is true that early adopters sometimes suffer the consequence of bugs and initial problems.

I personally went out and bought 2x 9800 GX2's when they first arrived and now you can't buy them for love nor money and they are almost defunct. The saving grace is that they are still very functional, fast cards that yield high frame rates and exceptional graphic quality, but for the money, I'd probably have been happier buying 2 x 280's with some change left over.

There is always the argument that when is the right time to buy any new hardware. For those more conservative, the answer is later rather than sooner.

The write-up is only for information sake, although I'll be lined up with my money in hand on day one of release.

Cheers,

Frank

I bought some gear a few weeks ago to build a second FSX/FTX machine instead of waiting for Nehalem (still working on it), but in the meantime the board I got for mid 3's is now over 5 due to exchange rates, and the news last night was that the AUD would fall to around 50c US. Lets hope when  the new Intel CPU arrives it hasn't doubled in price.  :o

A word of caution.

I talked with a representative of an online computer retailer last week. The word they have is that the first Corei7 chips to hit the market will be for servers and will be around $1000 or more. Consumer-desktop chips might be available Q1 2009 but even then the impact on games may be much less than for office applications, perhaps 5-10% unless overclocked.

I repeat this for what it is worth (maybe nothing).

I have no reason to believe these guys know any more than the rest of us. As always, I'm going to wait until the reviews are in before I decide whether an upgrade might be cost-effective.

Cheers,

Noel.

Being part  Centrecom, we have being told the as above  but the pricing will depend on the MARKET at the time ,but all IT prices will increase over the next few weeks !

I never thought of it like that.

I bet Intel and the IT manufacturers are spitting over this release.

Talk about bad timing, when the Aussie dollar is so low.

I know we are only a small blip on their financial radar, but I'd bet they will still feel it. I know many years ago, in the IT industry, that Australia was highly favoured by the IT manufacturers as we are known world wide as heavy and early adopters of modern technology.

I guess the IT industry will not be the only industry to suffer fiancially over the coming months and years,

Frank

I will go the i7 route too, but that will not be until at least the Q2 2009 so by then all the bugs would been worked out, drivers matured and most importantly...the bang vs buck ratio would have firmly moved into the bang corner.

I think the i7 heralds the arrival of the tube liner era to FSX.

Too bad we have to spend more money on a faster CPU, I'd bet that there is more than enough grunt in today's quad cores if FSX could parallel process, too bad its merely the step in the evolutionary chain towards multi core capable app.

Well put, Butch.

When I think of the great hardware that I've updated over the years, only to find marginal gains and quite often disappointing results.

Let's hope when the i7 arrives the trend might change,

Frank

Hey Butch,

FYI, they are already taking pre-orders for i7 CPU's and mobo's to suit at:

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/

I don't know that the pricing is right, probably more a guide until they arrive ashore.

It's gonna be a bit more than I'd thought. I will be buying the 2.9ghz cpu, Asus mobo and 6 gb Ram, so imagine I won't get much change from 2 grand.

Cheers,

Frank

Patience grasshopper...  ;D

Early adopters get scalped, that is the way of the world. Add to that the current crisis, .65 cents to the US.... At the bare minimum smart money would wait till after Christmas, but the best time will come in about six months. More or less before July, so just in time to claim it on your tax return.  ;D ;D

We don't know what % the performance gain is at this stage but running by the numbers, the cheapest i7 is $750, and the Q6600 is at $350, that is a 47% premium so the performance gain (for break even) would have to be a performance gain of 47%, I doubt that will be the case.  Add to that calculation a new board and ram... the ROI is out the window.

Of course this isn't a business so I'd settle for a price / performance ratio of about -10%.  ;D

Having said that... I am very excite to hear they are already taking pre-orders.

Thanks for the HU!  ;D

Hi folks,

The first reviews are in and they are overwhelmingly positive, even for the Corei7 920, the slowest model. In game tests give around 20% increase in fps for Crysis, and about 30% for Far Cry2 over a E8500.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/03/core-i7-reviews-counting

Sadly, my system has just had a major failure, resulting from a faulty case fan causing overheating. My own fault for upgrading rather than getting a whole new system; the fan that failed had been in the system for 3 upgrade cycles.

So now what to do? Go without a computer until the new chips hit the stores?

Cheers,

Noel.

I was just about to post that reviews are starting to trickle out...

I haven't bought a new system in about 14 years, I split the upgrades between CPU and GFX approximately over an 18 month cycle so I have reasonable gear most of the time and my financial controller doesn't get upset.

It all depends on your spending intentions, cheap = new q6600, expensive = i7, the logical choice would be q6600, logic aside (like tennyson) I would easily find the temptation to get an i7 overwhelming i'd probably just say 'what the heck' and get an i7.  ;D

• 3 weeks later...

My other post, "Took the plunge" has some info on my new system with the i7 940, if that is what you are looking for.

I've been so caught up with other productivity at the moment, but I'll be getting to some serious testing soon, however the results so far are stunning.

My outlay was 2500 bucks and probably one of the most productive upgrades I've ever done.

I've actually had FSX/FTX running with all of the sliders full and running smoothly and the system wasn't even tweaked.

Frank

Just had a look at the prices here in the UK the flagship weighs in at 800 GBP With tax far too much money in my mind, I wont be upgrading at them sort of prices im sure. But good luck to them that can as i say that is the flagship the others come in at quite resonable prices if you have the spare wonger lying around.

cheers

Iain.

I'm not going to be buying anything for a while soon either, I'll wait and see what AMD produces and by that time Intel should have a few more i7's on the market. Remember in 2 months time the prices will be lower after Christmas etc etc and all the bugs have still to be ironed out.

Archived