Personal fine tuning of FTX

lawndart

Q1) From time to time I run across airstrips in (CRM specifically) that are unusable because the underlying mesh is too rough. What have people been using to create flattens or smooth out the bumps? ADE or something else?

Q2) Mackay Bar in particular (ID28)... anybody made fixes to this one already?

Hi Lawndart,

What exactly is the issue with ID28?, I just dropped in and it looks fine, plenty smooth enough to take off and land, maybe post up a screenshot

Do you have your Mesh resolution set to 5m and Mesh complexity set to 100%?

Cheers

Tim

HI Guys,

ID28 had a little bump at a flatten transition which I cleaned up and which should make it into the next CRM SP. ID28 is interesting in that not only is it sloped end to end but side to side as well. I believe it's usable "as is" but it will be cleaner with the SP.

Cheers, Neil

Hi Tim,

1) No and no, for performance reasons... but I'll try.

2) AFX handles flatten polys very nicely so that fixed it well enough for me.

Which brings me to....

3) Can somebody tell me the default elevation for the ADE_FTX_CRM_ID28_Mackay_Bar.BGL? I kinda neglected to note the default height before I changed it. 2148 puts me right where it looks good with the river but now I dont know what default was. I think it was 2172.99 because I WAS going to write it down.... but I didn't. Duh!

• 1 month later...

Just had a great evening exploring the Salmon River area. Some really challenging airstrips there. Many are one-way, meaning there's no way out if you mess up on final. I had a hard time with the RealAir Scout, yet on Youtube you can see real-life pilots landing C182's and even C210's at some of the airstrips. Crazy stuff.

Mackay Bar looked fine to me, but airplanes in FS are finicky and might freak out and leap into the air at the slightest bump. Definitely keep crash detection off. Looks like a very interesting airfield. Similar to Lands Inn (OrbX OG39), it's actually a bed and breakfast establishment:

http://www.mackaybar...um=3&gallery=26

Would definitely pay to get that as an OrbX airport, or at least with a few generic buildings plopped down rather than the bare runway it is in CRM currently. Looks like a lovely place.

you were correct on the elevation at 2172 ft

FAA INFORMATION EFFECTIVE 07 MARCH 2013

FAA Identifier: ID28 Lat/Long: 45-22-44.6700N / 115-30-18.4450W

45-22.744500N / 115-30.307417W

45.3790750 / -115.5051236

(estimated) Elevation: 2172 ft. / 662 m (estimated) Variation: 18E (1985) From city: 10 miles SW of DIXIE, ID Time zone: UTC -7 (UTC -6 during Daylight Saving Time) Zip code: 83677

Archived