Texture problems outside England

chrisrgoodwin

Hi there..

I've had a look around the forums and couldn't find any posts with my specific problem.

ORBX England is amazing, although I often do flights from England in to Europe. When I get over France / Spain, some of the textures seem to turn into blocks. With blocks of green trees in the middle of normal landclass. This was particularly obvious over the Pyrenees. Where blocks of the trees were on the mountains.

I use UTX which is under ORBX in the fsx scenery directory. I have tried with UTX uninstalled and still get a similar problem.

I will post a screenshot tommoro. I'm on my iPad at the moment.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, just downloaded and installed the SP1 for England and still have same problem.

I just wanted to see if it was the same as everyone elses and if there was going to be a fix?

With UTX Europe:

Posted Image

Default:

Posted Image

This is north east Spain. Barcelona / Girona area.

Many thanks

Chris

Just to mention, my textures are still messed up after the patch install a few hours ago. Tested at Tenerife, FTX set to Europe, messed textures, blue squares all over mountains and runway, FTX default, all it ok. I checked England and the bugs are fixed so it seems the patch it installed correctly.

I don´t use UTX.

What is the problem you're experiencing? UTX Europe will have its own landclass layer different to default regardless. How is FTX England affecting it?

Well it's in the screenshot. Large squares of tree land class randomly. With UTX and default scenery. Without FTX activated. Everything is normal.

Basically with England installed my European landclass be it default or UTX looks awful. I tend to fly from England in to Europe. So it's a problem for me.

The words from the CEO in that locked thread suggest that Orbx EU England was never intended to be active when flying into Europe from the UK (England) and therefore it is not useful unless you are doing UK based domestic flights?

I fly for a well know UK based VA and all my flights are from the UK to European destinations and back again. If I can't have EU England active when making one of these flights then I have bought something which is not useful for me.

If I had know that it would not work as I thought it would then I would have thought twice about buying it. That is very disappointing.

I am not a programmer but I don't see why it has such a dramatic effect on the rest of the world and why it cannot be fixed.

I have to agree.

Its a lovely product but, flying for a VA in and out of England/Europe and not having it active is a pain and a waste for me.

No option but to uninstall FTX EU, maybe its my fault for not knowing or looking this up?? but either way its a shame :(

The words from the CEO in that locked thread suggest that Orbx EU England was never intended to be active when flying into Europe from the UK (England) and therefore it is not useful unless you are doing UK based domestic flights?

I fly for a well know UK based VA and all my flights are from the UK to European destinations and back again. If I can't have EU England active when making one of these flights then I have bought something which is not useful for me.

If I had know that it would not work as I thought it would then I would have thought twice about buying it. That is very disappointing.

I am not a programmer but I don't see why it has such a dramatic effect on the rest of the world and why it cannot be fixed.

same for me. I would have been fair to say that it is not possible to fly over the channel without those anomalies. I wonder what will happen when the netherlands or germany is beeing rleased..Only flight within the Netherlands or germany ? no buy for me.

Carsten

Hi Guys

I have to echo what the previous four posts state. I have no alternative but not to use EU England as I also fly for a UK VA which makes the use of the program completely impractical.

I feel that if Orbx were aware that the program would have this effect on the rest of our european textures the fact should have been made more apparent in the release literature.

Let me re-state the Orbx position.

From the time we released our first FTX region in 2008 until now, we have made it abundantly clear that to fly outside an FTX region we recommend that the default textures are switched back. The same applies for our two free trial demo regions Tasmania and the Olympic Peninsula in PNW; indeed the recommendation is contained in the User Guides for the demos. So everyone has had ample time to evaluate the impact of how Orbx implements its tech in the sim, and our recommended way to use it outside of FTX regions.

For the past five years people have quite happily used FTX with tubeliners and with VA's (if fact we have quite strong support from many VA's), and they have learnt to pause flights, switch FTX central to default and re-load the saved flights. Whilst this may be deemed an 'immersion breaker' by dedicated simmers, the fact remains we are all using a flight simulator which does provide for the luxury of weather-on-demand, virtual cockpits, pre-defined scenarious and indeed is similar in fashion to multi-million pound commercial flight simulators in which training scenarious are paused mid-flight to load different conditions.

So forgive me for being upfront and somewhat blunt, but the advent of FTX England does not change the way in which our software operates, and also does not give those VA flyers carte blanche license to dismiss out technology as being "unusable" since we in fact have been up front and open about the recommend way to use FTX.

I feel that this topic will also degenerate into a non constructive and futile discussion so I will also put it to bed now.

Having said all that, we are as we speak we're looking at "dialing back" some of the aggressive lclookup.bgl mods made for FTX England to make it less intrusive for those VA flyers who won't switch mid-flight, but it won't completely solve all the reported issues, and it will also come at the expense of making FTX England less cohesive when it is active. You cannot have your cake and eat it too. If Microsoft had engineered FSX to be a truly open and fully extendable platform Orbx would not have had to make some hard choices with implementing our vision. As we look to a future of new platforms such as P3D v2.0 we may see an engine with deglobalised control files which allows us to overcome the shortsightedness of ACES in their original design scope.

Archived