How much more can be added to FTX?

StormVR6

Does the idea of an even better FTX appeal to you?  

95 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, more localized accurate buildings, attractions, etc, would be nice.
    • No, I'm happy with how it is.
  2. 2.

• Yes, I'd gladly pay for building/area/scenery packs.
    • No, I would not pay.
  3. 3.

• £10 or less (approx 16 USD/AUS)
    • £15 (approx 23 USD/AUS)
    • £20 or more
    • Nothing.

After a bit more time with EU ENG I've come to the conclusion that apart from obvious landmarks, and some pretty accurate road networking, it's broadly generic. That's not to say I'm disappointed with it - I actually love flying over FTX England - but, to be honest, I could be flying over any green country. With an almost complete lack of industrial/commercial areas, huge shopping complexes, massive theme parks, churches, stadiums, etc, and the fact that large amounts of housing is placed where none exists, I find it difficult to see anything but a stereotypical landscape of England that is envisaged by the world. This, no doubt, applies to any FTX region.

Now, before anyone blasts me for airing my opinions, I want to say that I'm happy with my purchase (as I am with all my FTX purchases) but I'm curious as to how much can be added to any FTX region to give it more authenticity, hence the poll.

E.G. Can a stadium pack be created for England, basically adding all major football stadiums to the country? How about accurate industrial areas or theme parks? Can we have more accurate towns/areas offered as an "Area Pack"?

I understand how the landclass system works but I've no idea how extensive these additional features could be, or if it's feasible at all, but I'm interested if more can be added and I for one would gladly pay to make EU ENG as authentic as possible. If I'm alone in this then please say so in the poll, but I'm sure there are many who would pay to have their chosen FTX region even more detailed. I know that Orbx doesn't make profit from it's FTX regions so this could be a way, other than airports, for customers to support their favourite terrain developers.

Thank you and God bless you.

Mark.

P.S. Sorry, wrong forum, please move, thank you.

Well....there is this tread going already about folks interests which would include stadiums.
/>http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/50930-eu-englandwish-listongoing/page__pid__459190__st__40#entry459190

Interesting, as I scan around Google Earth at England, I pretty much see an on going, repetitive landscape...one could get totally lost pretty quickly because it all looks the same.

FSX by its default nature was pretty bland and boring compared to what scenery developers have done over the past few years. With a few exceptions most cities, buildings etc are generic in nature in FSX even in Orbx FTX England. Building custom scenery has always been something that can be accomplished with various software knowledge and there are many examples out there of great addons for FS9 & FSX for England.

With a little browsing around I have found several of those custom stadiums that folks have made that could be placed into England scenery to add those missing landmarks you're looking for.

All those things you mention can be done, they take considerable time and effort to make from scratch and I doubt that someone would want to pay a lot for a bunch of stadiums. Or at least enough people willing to pay enough to actually make the time and effort to build those models actually worth it.

However, having said that, there are a number of not so custom stadiums out there as freeware already, and with a bit of effort can be placed into the Orbx England scenery to at least give a better VFR view of some cities/towns.

In the PNW package there is no McMahon Stadium here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMahon_Stadium in Calgary. Its a major landmark for city of Calgary, and would be similar in size/scope as might be represented in England's cities. I just grabbed a generic stadium and placed it into the spot where it goes. The underlying scenery does not line up but it doesn't matter as what I was looking for was the look and feel of the real area as I fly into Calgary.

Basically, I don't care that its not perfect, its a simulator game.

Although the generic buildings work good for most of FSX, I think something that is missing are more custom buildings outside of airports. Although developers do a great job of creating custom airport environments, very little attention is paid to major landmarks outside of airports. FSX includes custom buildings in a number of cities but in others very little has been done. I realize buildings take some time to do (I've done quite a number myself, and yes most are for airports.) I have a few buildings for downtown Calgary and are considering doing a more extensive group around the entire city. Another problem is that custom buildings take a greater toll on performance than generic or autogen buildings but it would be nice to see more. I certainly would pay for a pack containing more buildings for areas I,m interested in.

Larry

I do agree that England, and when it comes, Europe, will cry out for distinctive scenery objects from towns down to landmarks, and there's already a thread about adding some available items to the UK. Yes, I'd pay a reasonable price for a cityscape, and I'm thinking ahead to Canberra (Aus) as well as back the the (free!) Portland. I wouldn't give much for a sport stadium though,. Or for a single stately home. A pack is a different thing.

Perhaps FTX England is somewhat generic "from the box" but I think it's hard to travel far without finding something distinctive or interesting. We now have Dover's white cliffs and a decent Thames, the Wash looks washy, there are big wide sandbanks on the west coast, and the mesh itself gives character to different places. I see what looks like bare chalk all over the place. I think I found Salisbury Cathedral last night which I don't believe I added separately. Just seeing narrow tree-lined lanes between irregular fields is nice.

I pretty much see an on going, repetitive landscape...one could get totally lost pretty quickly because it all looks the same.

Pretty much my sentiment after flying England EU for a week. I suppose I am a bit spoiled after flying the northwest with all of the addons.

I pretty much see an on going, repetitive landscape...one could get totally lost pretty quickly because it all looks the same.

Pretty much my sentiment after flying England EU for a week. I suppose I am a bit spoiled after flying the northwest with all of the addons.

My favourite is most definitely the PNW, PFJ, NRM, then NZ, then AU then, ENG.

I do however, like flying the short hops in ENG with GPS and weather.

...I pretty much see an on going, repetitive landscape...one could get totally lost pretty quickly because it all looks the same.

What you've said is true and only reinforces why extra detail would be a good thing. England's landscape is not as diverse as say the PNW, therefore it makes complete sense to have more detailed areas within it. Hence my original question.

Archived