new rig and overclock

ShawnG

so as some background, I have used three different pc's now since FSX was released in 2006. when I bought the program (the day it was released) I was running a Pentium 4 at 3Ghz and thus was very underwhelmed at the performance, though that system ran fs9 pretty well. Since 2008 until last week, I was running a Q6600 with a GT240 gfx card, and it ran ok in rural regions, but I had to cut the settings way back, and I haven't been able to really enjoy FSX for a long time.

Until Now.

I just finished a week of reinstalling FSX addons (much rage directed at various and sundry copy protection mechanisms that apparently both do not work, and saddle me with hundreds of passwords, order numbers, and bizarre challenge/response procedures. A story for another time, truly, and also an issue with all of my music production software, so it's not just a flightsim thing, obviously) After installing, came the drudgery of tweaking settings in FSX and putting a mild overclock on my new i5 3570k ivy bridge with GTX660 ti gfx card.

wow.

Ok, it's not perfect, I have the autogen slider one tick to the right, and ground scenery shadows turned off, but damn, this is pegged at 30 fps nearly everywhere! I even made some test flights over default ORBX KSEA and Vancouver Plus 3, both sceneries would bring my Q6600 to its knees, and both chugged away happily, even in heavy clouds getting an absolute low of about 15 fps, but mostly in the low 20's! I could get used to this! hopefully I can enjoy some flying again, without having to avoid certain areas and addons. good stuff. I was really amazed as well, in how much FSX performance was gained in just OC'ing to 4.3Ghz from the stock 3.8. ORBX at these settings looks incredible, thanks

Having done the same as Shawn in the last few weeks all I have left to do is overclock. Never had a CPU that you could overclock before let alone a GPU. Time will tell. As it is I'm getting frame rates of 30 (locked) or close to it except at YMML and other major Orbx airports. It's great.

I was running a Q6600

The Q6600 was the holy grail of overclocking when that can out. I had that baby at 3.1ghz on air for about three years before I upgraded (to uh-oh AMD, which lasted barely a year and a half with a +14% clock) and it was the motherboard that went, not the processor. If only everything was manufactured to that kind of quality level.

It's nice being able to crank those sliders up now though isn't it.

Archived