The Dream continues..

troyco

Well, 2014 has already started out as a bumper year for me.

I was at the stage where I was looking to buy liners for my shell. I'd arranged to buy them from Canada, just before Xmas. Then, a week ago, a young fellow cockpit builder from Bendigo decided to sell his FDS shell, complete with a full compliment of FDS liners.

I was the only bidder, which surprised me to no end. The auction ended 2 days ago, so I loaded up my wife's little Mazda and did a road trip to Victoria.

I stopped in at Caves Beach in NSW to drop off a set of eyebrow windows, I'd previously bought from the States, to another simmer, who runs a sim there.

Tony is a top bloke, just wish I'd have had a bit more time to spend with him. But Bendigo was hot on my radar and I wanted to get back home asap.

So, I shot off there and met my other fellow mate, Karl.

Karl puts meto shame, he has the only 'real' 737 NG shell in OZ. It is so nice to sit in the seat of a real aircraft, altho the FDS shell will resemble it almost identically.

We flew a quick sortie from Melbourne to Launy and I picked up a few pointers along the way from a very knowledgeable pilot.

It only took s a few hours to pull the shell and liners apart and they all fitted neatly in my wife's little car (hard to believe, right?)

HKwId.jpg

yQArd.jpg

And the stats: 58 hours since I left home on Wednesday, 3800 kilometres roundtrip and 300 dollars of petrol at around $1.60 per litre average.

I don't think there's any doubting my dedication to this project........or craziness!

Frank

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frank,

knowing and loving the Australian authorities as I do (they officially classified me as a terrorist once because my name is too common), I'm amazed that you managed to travel 1900 kms without getting stopped for having the car overloaded :)

Fantastic job!

Cheers

Jack

Yes a Mazda 2. We are a crazy Mazda family. Every member of the family own Mazda's. It's not really that we are obsessed, just that they make great vehicles.

And I ended up having some spare room. Fifty kilometres up the road and I re-arranged the load. I actually had enough spare room that I could probably have squeezed in the the full set of Circuit Breaker panels I bought from Karl, as well.

Oh, well, they'll be coming by courier now.

I had a mammoth effort yesterday. I managed to get all of the panels cleaned and prepped. I then visited my trusty store, Bunnings and bought out half their stocks of undercoat and matt black paint.

I managed to finish about 3/4 of the panels of the shell and will finish the rest off this morning.

When that is complete, I'm going to give the liners a nice fresh coat of paint as well.

Once that job is complete, I'll be moving on to the planning stage of my curved screen in the sim room.

I already have my son-in-law teed up to come and do a first class job on the plastering. He did all the plastering in the sim room and it is beautiful.

So there is my January plan, let's see how it pans out!

Frank

Guys,

I'm going to kill off this thread and start a new one.

Partly because it's under my boys name and he is not involved anymore and also, it has reached over 23,000+ views, like the last one.

The new thread won't be hard to find, it will be named The Dream Continues Part2.

I hope I don't get in trouble with the mods over this....here goes

Frank

Archived