Look what I found at Southend (EGMC)

alexf

Its been there for at least the last 15+ years.

They run the engines and taxi down the runway with it normally once a year when Southend have there air show.

Paul

Surely you mean the Vulcan of the Vulcan Restoration Trust?? There's never been an SR-71 at Southend that I know of.

I don't think it's actually GOT any engines either. I've watched it deteriorate over the years, I live there and can see it from my house.

One thing I will say about my "home" airport, it would be nice if some time in the future it was updated to it's latest spec. Eddy Stobbart bought it, and the Stobbart Group has redone the whole thing. Longer runway, new buildings, new railway station, and a nice new tower and hotel. Maybe a payware addon for the future perhaps?

Oh, one more thing, the 747 sitting on the West side of the field? It's not a 747 in real life. You can't get a 747 into EGMC the runway is too small :) There used to be 2 rotting aircraft over there, I know, I used to play in them :D I think one of them was a Viscount, but can't be certain. It had 4 prop engine nacelles though, not jets.

All that said, it still looks pretty good to me, and I'm not complaining. I'm very happy with my purchase overall.

You can't get a 747 into EGMC the runway is too small :)

You have never seen me fly and land (if you can call it that it more like crash) a 747 at Southend then. :lol:

As for the engines it may not have them now it been a few years since i went there during the airshow but it used to be great to watch it fire them up and taxi around.

Paul

You have never seen me fly and land (if you can call it that it more like crash) a 747 at Southend then. :lol:

As for the engines it may not have them now it been a few years since i went there during the airshow but it used to be great to watch it fire them up and taxi around.

Paul

On the other hand, their FB page refers to an engine run this month and in April, it was taxied to carry out brake tests. I guess Tony has some really good doubleglazing :D

Paul

I don't think it's actually GOT any engines either. I've watched it deteriorate over the years, I live there and can see it from my house.

One thing I will say about my "home" airport, it would be nice if some time in the future it was updated to it's latest spec. Eddy Stobbart bought it, and the Stobbart Group has redone the whole thing. Longer runway, new buildings, new railway station, and a nice new tower and hotel. Maybe a payware addon for the future perhaps?

Oh, one more thing, the 747 sitting on the West side of the field? It's not a 747 in real life. You can't get a 747 into EGMC the runway is too small :) There used to be 2 rotting aircraft over there, I know, I used to play in them :D I think one of them was a Viscount, but can't be certain. It had 4 prop engine nacelles though, not jets.

All that said, it still looks pretty good to me, and I'm not complaining. I'm very happy with my purchase overall.

I agree, it would be great to see Southend "ORBX'd".

As for the old relics to the west (end of the disused runway 15); there have been many over the years including 707's, Shorts Belfast's, many BAC-1-11's, (one of each can be seen on Google Maps), Vicounts and more recently (as in now), BAe-146's as well.

Paul

On the other hand, their FB page refers to an engine run this month and in April, it was taxied to carry out brake tests. I guess Tony has some really good doubleglazing :D

Paul

Really? That's interesting. I'm so used to seeing it, I don't take any notice anymore. I always believed it wasn't airworthy, and my last really close look was quite a while ago to be honest, and it had bits missing all over the place.

I knew they had many different relics on the old runway (don't remember it being a runway though), but I was far too young to know what they might have been. I do remember there was a public footpath that ran along that side of the field, and we used to sneak in there and play around the planes. Went in a few if memory serves. And of course got caught too.

Archived