West Yellowstone

banjoman1960

HI,

the streets from the town near the airport looks not right i think,no asphalt and not sharp,is that right?.......any idea?

scenery is complete loaded...........and when i see other towns near orbx airports they are more sharp and detailed,is my install ok?

thank´s

Posted Image

example darrington town near airport

Posted Image

Hi Ralf,

There are two reasons for the town looking as it does.

First and foremost is that the imagery is 90cm, sharpened from 1m. The reason 1m was used was that the only higher resolution imagery (used at the airport) had cloud coverage over much of the surroundings. In addition, using a higher resolution imagery would have created a much larger file size than the 400mb PR that we ended up with. I believe Darrington uses 60cm imagery for the township area.

Second, as you've noticed there appears to be no roads just dirt. The reason for this is that at West Yellowstone's altitude of 6500ft and in it's cold climate there is almost no grass! If you fly around town you'll only see grass at the park, the football field, and a few lawns. Most of the town is either concrete, asphalt or dirt of the same colour. If you check out Street View in Google Maps you'll be able to see the light colour of the roads and their rather poor condition from the climate. They blend in with the dirt and concrete so they are indeed hard to see, unlike areas in the Pacific Northwest where the lush grass and trees show the dark asphalt roads clearly.

Archived