A dam slow loader

Aceshigh

Hi everyone...

Can anyone help me sort out which addon is slowing my flight loading times.

I choose my aircraft "etc" then click "Fly now" & it starts to load the flight.

The box comes up saying "loading terrain data",

it gets to 6% and sits there for 3 or 4 mintues then slowly after that loads to the flight.

All is fine with the flight but this sitting at 6% is so slow and frustrating.

From under a minute to over 5 minutes to load. All overnight, the system is defragmented with O&O 11.

First space method then name method.

I have FSX, FTXBlue & Gold.

In FTX OFF mode:

I use Megascenry Hawaii & Southern California.

Horizons Southern England & wales.

UTX USA,

UTX Canada,

GEX USA, Canada, Alaska.

Graphics X

Active SkyX

I have owned these for a while now and all has been fine, suddenly last night this slowdown on loading "terrain data" ?

So whats the best way without uninstalling to check which is the culprit and why?

Any known issues with these addons?

... any help would be great.

thanks

Mark   (Aceshigh)

E8500 3.16

4 GB ram

vista home premium

9800gtx+

500gb Seagate Sata II

framerates locked at 24, sits on this for all areas.

FTX tweaked via AUGold PDF manual.

First up, I'm no expert. :)

Are both CPU cores at 100% during loading of terrain data?  I had a similar problem and found FSX was only using one core...

There are also some FSX.CFG settings that I've found increase loading times, but make for a better experience.  I have no idea what the specific settings are, but the Victoria+ FSX CFG file did this for me (longer load, better experience).  Try backing up your CFG file and load the CFG file in this scenery.  After installing Victora+, load the config file and it should be in the right directory.

http://jonpatch.wordpress.com/2007/11/16/victoria-for-fsx-released/

Hope this helps, probably won't. :)

Cheers,

Matt.

The box comes up saying "loading terrain data",

it gets to 6% and sits there for 3 or 4 mintues then slowly after that loads to the flight.

All is fine with the flight but this sitting at 6% is so slow and frustrating.

From under a minute to over 5 minutes to load. All overnight, the system is defragmented with O&O 11.

First space method then name method.

Same here expect FS9. All of a sudden it take 3-5 mins to load a flight. It also slows down at terrain. Sits there.....sits there, then 4 minutes later....zip!

Wonder what it is?

thanks for the help..

I will test if both cores are loading after my defrag Im running now..

The DisablePreload=1   setting I have already thanks.  

Could the defrag of O&O "name" method moved files into a slower order?  

Im new to the O&O defragger. I did space method and then name, took hours to do.

All still runs fine but waiting to get to the fun is annoying.  LOL  

Loading terrain data sits forever on 6% the hard drive light churnning away lit solid.  Once it all loads it runs fine, smooth.

Update:   ok  thanks - will untick all third party add ons and retick one at a time.   Will post my findings tomorrow night. 

thanks.  

Well, first of all, it's a bad idea to have everything on one hard disk. FSX will benefit from a dedicated drive, that's no secret. Your CPU isn't exactly a snail and shouldn't be a problem. You can download this HDD bench program and analyze your disk (maybe post a screen shot) : http://www.hdtune.com/

Defrag by filename is just fine btw.

I noticed an increased opening and loading time after installing MyTrafficX though...

Update:

Problem solved, well almost ! 

I unticked all "add on scenery" and went for a flight, ticking each one at a time until the slow loading started.

The culprit turns out to be MegasceneryX - Southern California, all 14 Gbs of it.

Unticked my load times are normal , ticked the time drags out to almost 4 or 5 minutes.

The odd thing is it has been installed the longest and works fine. Why suddenly yesterday decides to "go slow" ?

My FSX, FTX, MegasceneryX is on my main "C" drive.  All others are on a second hard drive.

At the time I did not have the knowledge to place FSX, FTX  "ETC" onto a second drive.

If I ever have a full format - reinstall, it will be at the top of my "to do" list.

Question:  If I uninstall MegasceneryX off my main "C" drive now and reinstall onto my second drive would that help?  or is that going down a FSX troubled road ?

anyway,

thanks for all the help.

Mark  ( Aceshigh )

This has me intrigued - are you saying that no matter where you are - IF this MegasceneryX is activated then it takes the 4 mins to get past the "loading terrain data", even if for instance you are starting a flight in Aust or Europe

Yes, if the MegasceneryX is ticked as "on" the loading time for the flight is much slower ( longer) even if one is loading a flight in Australia or the Uk for example.   

It shows "Loading Terrain data" & sits at about 6% for much longer than if the MegasceneryX Southern California is ticked off.

On my System anyway.

why Im not really sure !  LOL

I found this speed tweak page for MegasceneryX users, I have not tried it as yet.

http://www.pcaviator.com/megascenery/forums/index.php?showtopic=892

Another thing to check is if you are caching your scenery other than using directly....I found that caching the scenery seemed to also slow down the load times depending on where you were taking off from....

cheers

The culprit turns out to be MegasceneryX - Southern California, all 14 Gbs of it.

Well I seriously doubt it would be loading 14Gb to start with BUT it does beg the question why it would be loading if you weren't there.

Some scenery issues are rather difficult to track and this is exactly why you DO NOT place all your scenery in one folder set, if you need to remove it - unless you have a catalog of what is what your pretty much screwed.

I have now confirmed it, My friend just bought MegasceneryX Southern California and its doing the same thing, slowing down his flight load times even if he is not flying anywhere near the area.    Unticked and it all goes back to normal load times.      Odd hey.

Even more odd, I now own the other MegasceneryX in the series and they do not cause any noticable slow down in loading, only the S-California version.

I emailed them with this question and no reply as yet...  I wont hold my breath.  LOL

Not necessarily Odd but what I'd say is happening is there is a bit of prefetch going on and the sim is allocating space for the texture files to be accessed and that is what is taking the time . The mega Scenery sstuff is Photo Mosaic that is the Whole valley I think where other's are sets of tiles, and this would be why Mega Scenery is Looonnnngggg Loading . there is a Very Easy solution to this dilema . Only load the Mega Scenery when flying in California.

Archived