Norfolk Island YSNF canyon problem

wantok

I'm seeing a rather strange scene at Norfolk Island International (YSNF) - the surrounding terrain is apparently set to an altitude well above the airport, producing a worrying canyon effect:

Posted Image

Makes landings dicey, and takeoffs in anything remotely heavy get ugly fast :)

I see this with Holgermesh enabled (even with Holgermesh as topmost scenery layer), which leads me to think that Holgermesh does not cover Norfolk Island.  However jgutteri reported in another thread that Holgermesh did fix the problem.

I'm wondering if others can shed light on whether Holgermesh should fix it.

PS: after getting used to AU Blue / Gold as my normal flying scenery, going outside FTX-land is pretty hard to take these days... especially after the jawdropping screenshots of AU Green.  How does the rest of the world live with it every day?   Guess they don't know what they're missing...

Hi there,

actually, my mesh covers Norfolk Island, which is why the runways sit in a trench; in FSX default the entire island is flat as a pancake at 0m elevation.

If you're going to get FTX GREEN then you're all set because it includes all the required files to give it the "FTX treatment". If not then you should head over to the VOZ forums and search for Norfolk Island. I made some files that improve on the land class (using default textures) and lifts the airfield to its correct elevation. The main thread over there is: http://vistaoz.org/smf/index.php?topic=7389.0

Cheers, Holger

Hi Wantok

Sorry mate I forgot to add that there was an update to the mesh that fixed this.  For some reason I just assumed this was included in the mesh file on the freeware download page.  You know I'm kind of confused, because my Norfolk Island currently looks amazing, even the airport terminal is detailed - as though there has been some FTX treatment on it already.  I'm not at my computer to take a screenie now, but I wonder if anyone else knows about this.

Archived