Strange artifact NZNI

noels7

Hi

A friend of mine purchased NZNI yesterday and is experiencing problems.

For some reason he cannot access Orbx forums to register. I don't know

what the problem is but computer literate he is not.

Can he send an email to the Administrator for some assistance?

Until he sorts his problem out and after nearly 2 hours tutoring he has sent me the following

files. (thank goodness for Skype).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I haven't ever seen anything like this before.

Any advice would be appreciated.

noels7

Noel Southam

Hi

I have just completed testing above problems with my NZNI. Intel 2600K o/c 4.5ghz, 8 gig 1600 memory, Gigabyte 580 grahics card.

Texture resolution 15 cm, autogen density dense, scenery complexity extremely dense, water effects mid 2x.

I cannot replicate the problem shown but NZAA in the distance flickers quite strongly (especially the buildings).

Nowhere else in pictures 2 and 3 do I experience any flickering.

I wonder if the flickering in 2 and 3 is a result of the artifact (2 parallel lines) which appear to eminate (?) from NZAA.

With aircraft at gate 10 (medium) NZWN in picture1 I get the same artifact. Also, the large orange roofed shed directly

behind the aircraft suffers extreme flickering on the roof. Nowhere else is there any flickering around NZWN.

I haven't been able to see whether the artifact is in line with the shed and if that causes the violent flickering of the shed.

Any assistance appreciated.

noels7

Noel Southam

Hi Noel,

those odd lines could be object shading artifacts, which can be resolved by unchecking the "Ground scenery shadws" checkbox in Settings > Display > Scenery. We recommend not using this option because it's very buggy (with both default and add-on objects) and quite the frame rate hog.

Then again, I can't duplicate those lines at either NZAA or NZWN even with shadows active so maybe those are incompatibilities with another add-on.

However, I can duplicate the texture flickering at the NZWN fire station and it does go away with shaows turned off, meaning that's one of those examples of a default model with shading issues.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger

Many thanks for your assistance. Have checked both scenario's from my original post by

following your suggestion. Of course it works. As soon as I saw who had responded to my post

I knew that the problem would be solved immediately.

The scenery is fabulous and no artifacts and no flickering with the added bonus of flying over NZAA

my frame rates have gone from ave 28 to mid 50 fps.

Cannot believe that I was not aware of that simple tweak after all these years flying with FSX.

Again many thanks for your assistance.

Regards

noels7

Noel Southam

Hi Holger.

Further to the above, I also have followed your tip, re: turning off ground shadows, and what a differance to frame rates! I also set FPS to unilmited, and my fps at airports like Brisbane, Harvey, Walter Suttons, Israel's Farm, and Anacotes etc have doubled!

Thanks for that,

Mal...

Archived