Sound Cards - online flying

Chandy

I was wondering if it is necessary to have two soundcards when flying online with FSX so that other people's voices can be heard with a headest/mic set-up. The reason I ask is that I have read that this is essential for comms.

Can someone give me the good oil, please.

John G

I haven't flown online for quite a while but when I did, I used 2 sound cards (1 built-in and 1 PCI). I found it very usefull to direct the COM to the 2nd card so that I could adjust the headset volume without interfering with the environment sound of the simulator.

I would'nt say it is a must, but it makes things a lot more enjoyable (and a lot less "please say again" on my part).

Short answer is NO you don't NEED 2 sound cards.

Most of use however do use either 2 Sound Cards or a Sound Card and a second Sound device like a USB Head set as it is much more realistic in doing so.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info. I've been away from the Forum for awhile (busy, busy, busy) however I have not had any luck using Teamspeak or GameSpy and have given the whole idea a miss. I have been using a USB headset for years (with mic) and have no problems directing voice to my headset and all other sounds though my speakers - yet being able to communicate with someone on-line alludes me still. I was getting quickly kicked off GameSpy events as soon as I joined and I began to wonder if it was because nobody was hearing me, or I wasn't answering calls. I suppose I'll never know but I became concerned that I mught be seen as a nuisance and black-balled.

When I used GameSpy years ago I had two sound cards but now with only one nothing seems to be working. My computer guru and the people who built my machine say I don't need a second sound card and from what you blokes have said I guess that I don't. Oh, well ...back to square one.

Thanks,

John G

Well John we need to get online at the same time and help you sort it out, using Teamspeak along with other programs is very simple.

With Windows 7 you need to set the headset as the Communications device and all the regular game sounds etc through the regular speaker output.

Remember to set the Main speaker system as default then Teamspeak will work by itself perfectly, Oh you should always set the USB headset to Direct Sound too.

Hang on a sec are you saying you only use a single USB Headset and nothing else for regular Sound output from the PC ??

If so then your not going to be able to enjoy the immersion of Pilot to pilot chat and ATC at quite the same level as the rest of us.

Please clarify what sound devices you currently have and use besides your USB Headset .

Maurice,

What I meant was that I have a Logitech USB Headset with microphone and a Logitech Speaker system (4 satellite speakers, 1 stereo centre speaker and 1 woofer). I do not use, and never have, the pin type of headset (PGA?).

Depending how I feel at the time I will have only the FSX ATC voice coming through my headset (using the Sound settings inside FSX) and all other sounds coming through my speakers - or everything coming through my speakers only. Everything is working fine, except for my problem getting into on-line flying because I can't hear or send voice messages (at least I don't think anyone is hearing me).

I hope this clarifies it.

Regards,

John G ::)

I think you just need to configure your USB headset mike as the default recording device then it should be ok. If you are flying using the default fsx online, sometimes you need to have your radio correctly tuned other times you dont best to read the details before joining a flight. And dont forget the mke keywhich i forget i havnt used it in a while. And ensure your mike gain is at max you can always turn it done later

Hey gents. Very interested in this topic as I have wanted to correct this issue on my gaming machine forever. I have a Plantronics USB headset with microphone. I would like to use that headset to communicate with other pilots on TeamSpeak while getting my aircraft sounds through my computer speakers. Can anyone walk me through the setup steps necessary to accomplish this? Again, I want to speak with other pilots on teamspeak both hot-mic and PTT options (and/or through comm channels on the radios) while getting my regular aircraft sounds through the computer speakers. Can someone help walk me through the settings necessary to make this a reality? Thanks!

Grayrider

I don't understand why this is presenting such an issue for many people, as usually TS will identify things as run with it. In a nutshell here is what you do.

1 Set up your PC Audio WITHOUT your USB Headset connected.

In the Windows Sound Management panel

ie Control Panel - Sounds set you speaker output to be "Default"

Set your levels and Surround options etc.

2 Test your Sound in FSX or any other game you use making sure that the current speaker setting is correct and the Audio is being heard from you main speaker system

3 Plug in your HeadSet and allow windows to identify it, check that windows "Record" is set to your headset.

Now run Teamspeak and set Direct Sound in the Options Capture Mode and the device as your Head set chosing PYY options and select what ever you want to use VOX operation can be set here as well.

4 Set your Playback device as your headset as well and you should now be good to go.

NEVER set you headset as your Communications device.

I have done what you said, Maurice but chose to have voice coming through my speakers with all other sounds (for some reason other sounds were coming through the headset as well as voice in the TeamSpeak3 Test. No worries, speakers will do for now.

I then connected using the auto-connect feature in the PNWFC Forums, entering my nickname and pasting in the password from the Forum site.

Now what do I do? I see all the separate 'portals' on the left side menu: I have a PTT button set-up on my joystick but when I tried speaking to someone (anyone who might be listening) I received no reply. Now I figured that as it is a weeknight and I'm in Australia it is likely that people are still having dinner, or anyone overseas may be at work. So how do I get to speak with someone and where should I start - at Lana's Cafe, perhaps? And how do I know if anyone is online to begin with?

Thanks for your help,

John G

The other sounds were likely being picked up by the Mic and you were monitoring that.

It sounds like we really need to set a time for a remote admin session to see what it is with your current set up that is giving you grief.

Archived