Nvidia GTX 550ti or Amd 6850?

ajc

Hi everyone,

I have finally decided to upgrade my exsisting video card to either the GTX 550ti or the Amd 6850 video card. And I was wondering which one would give me better results in FSX. I have heard both good and bad things about both cards so I thought that I could get to my final desion here. Or is there another card in the same price range that will give me even better results in FSX?

Thanks,

AJC

Get a 560, its a no-brainer, and price is about (give or take) 50 bucks difference between that and the x50

As a general reference:

GTX x40: lowest possible version of the series, sometimes its even a re-branded earlier model, like a Geforce 9800 or something, not for intensive graphics gaming

GTX x50: same, a tad better than the x40, but still not for intensive graphics gaming

GTX x60: Excellent bang for buck

GTX x70: almost the same as the x80 flagship but a little bit cheaper, bit less on-board ram

GTX x80: the flagship.

Andy, if you are on a tight budget, check out this store as the 550Ti is only AU$119.00 right now :

http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/n550d5-gigabyte-nvidia-gtx550-p-57239.html?sort=2a

Tim, the 560Ti is double the price of the 550Ti at the mo here in Melbourne - AU$119.00 vs AU$225.00 - so it comes down to what's in your pocket. I have recently installed the 550Ti (1GB GDDR5) and I'm pleased with it. No doubt the 560Ti would perform better, but the budget rules for most of us.

Thanks guys, I'm looking at getting the 550Ti instead of the 560Ti due to my budget. Does anyone know anything about the Amd 6850?

Would the GTX 550Ti work better in FSX than the Amd 6850 or the other way round?

AJC

Ok Gents. Lets get right to the point of green vs red. Yes the older green team was a much better choice due to reds (cloud issues). Now things are differnt, the cards on both sides are POWERFULL cousins of the older cards. They can chew anything that FSX will throw at it. I personaly have used mostly the green team, until I wanted to use more than one screen. Are you using more than one screen? If you are not then the green team is what I would choose. If you want more than one screen, then the red team. However, on board ram is an issue with the card running 3 screens. More ram is mo better. You see my specs, I run a 6970 2g. At the time I bought it, it was about 430 canadian. Yes it was worth it for my 3 screen setup.( and any other game I've thrown at it, I am an avid gamer) Now when I'm ready for another card it will be a 670-680 2g. They are 3 screen capable right out of the box. So, what do you want to do and what are the applications you want to use, ie: gaming or others. I do not have any issues with clouds or such, not even my 5850 wich is more powerfull that a 6850, did I have any issues with 3 screens exept it was only 1g. I would look at the performance on comparison.

Archived