First Solo question

qantas747

Hey guys,

I have 9.8 hours in the book, and am only a few lessons off being able to go solo, well my instructor says that I would be able to. The only problem is I am still 14.

I did start reasonably young, it meant I got to taste flight early, but it also means it will be a while before I can go solo.

But never do I want to stop, I love it so much.

I do realize that you have to be 16 to fly solo, but I was wondering if anyone in history has been able to bypass this a bit and solo earlier.

I am as good at flying as anyone who is 10 years older than me and in the same position of training. But just due to my age, I can't go unfortunately.

I am not complaining, I am very grateful that they allow me to learn. But it would be great if I could join to solo club earlier haha.

Cheers guys,

Ollie

First, please tell me...where are you learning?! I'm 14 as well and it would be great if I could start flying earlier. I see you are in Sydney so it must be somewhere there (bankstown airport?)

If you could give me the flying school name I would be very grateful, thank you.

As for your actual question, I have no idea, sorry :)

G'day Misha,

I am learning to fly at Airborne Aviation at Camden. I have no complaints about them, apart from the fact that they are a bit more expensive than other schools, but their aircraft and training are great. www.airborne-aviation.com

Cheers,

Ollie

Ollie,

Ah to be young and impetuous again! Seriously, there are reasons for the age restrictions on solo flight and although your skill level may be such that you could accomplish solos, the regulations are there for everyone. Your question asking if anybody "in history" has bypassed the 16 age restriction and soloed earlier exhibits a little bit of immuturity IMHO. Of course there has to be "someone" who has soloed before age 16, by breaking the rules I'm sure. If you were to do that and, God forbid, something happened you do realize your parents would probably be held leagally and financially responsible as well as the FBO where you are training.

Look at it this way, although you have to have that 'other guy' in the plane for a couple of years more, when you do hit the 16th birthday you will be so much safer and skilled due to the extra traing you have done.

As a former USN flight instructor I have had the pleasure of cutting the necktie of many 'nugguts' after their first solo and I realize how eager you are to step into that exhaulted club but it will happen. Study procedures and regulations until you can recite the books forward and backwards while awaiting your 16th birthday Ollie. Good Luck and Godspeed!

Thanks Spud for your reply.

Never would I think about flying solo illegally, neither would my flying school.

Don't get me wrong, I do respect the rules and can understand why they do have them in place.

I guess waiting a bit longer is not too much of a problem, will just mean that I will have more more skill and knowledge to use to my advantage, which as you said will make me a safer pilot.

And sorry if you found parts of my question a bit immature.

Thanks for the kind words mate, they are much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ollie

I am as good at flying as anyone who is 10 years older than me and in the same position of training.

Ollie

The above statement rings alarm bells for me....... Over confidence is a dangerous thing - flying is very unforgiving. I suggest more training is still required. Just because you have the hours does not mean you have the necessary skills and maturity.

I just wish that I could have done qantas747 what you have to date. Consider this, after discovering flight simulation I undertook my first real flight recently out of YBCG at age 66. When I was your age it would not have entered my thinking to acheive what you have. Be thankful for the opportunities you have been given. For me at your age it was an a dream that could never be a reality. I am envious of your 9.8 hours, I only have 1 hour. more to follow, I hope.

Archived