KPDX Freeware

Hello,

I'm a newbie to FSX and wanted to try some 3rd party content. Orbx came highly recommended over at AVSIM.com so I thought I'd try some freeware before I buy. I downloaded the KPDX Portland City freeware and ran the executable. The installation ran fine but I went into FSX and there was no sign of it. Is there something else I need to install to have this work?

Apologies if this has been posted already.

Hello and welcome!

First let me explain the design style behind the Orbx product range: we make 'region packs' which cover large regions of Australia, North West America, Canada and New Zealand, these region packs provide the mesh (elevations), autogen (trees and buildings) and Roads and Traffic for the region, then all the HD airports and other assorted Orbx airport and scenery addons are designed from the ground-up to be overlayed on top of the regions and blend seamlessly together

- If you do not own a region pack yet and you want to install... say for example the Portland-CBD freeware, you'll need to add the scenery to your FSX scenery library manually from within FSX

- A much better option to sample some Orbx scenery is to try one (or both) of our region pack demos, these are both unlimited-time demos which you will find here: http://www.fullterra...duct_demos.html

Cheers

Tim

Hello and welcome!

First let me explain the design style behind the Orbx product range: we make 'region packs' which cover large regions of Australia, North West America, Canada and New Zealand, these region packs provide the mesh (elevations), autogen (trees and buildings) and Roads and Traffic for the region, then all the HD airports and other assorted Orbx airport and scenery addons are designed from the ground-up to be overlayed on top of the regions and blend seamlessly together

- If you do not own a region pack yet and you want to install... say for example the Portland-CBD freeware, you'll need to add the scenery to your FSX scenery library manually from within FSX

- A much better option to sample some Orbx scenery is to try one (or both) of our region pack demos, these are both unlimited-time demos which you will find here: http://www.fullterra...duct_demos.html

Cheers

Tim

Thank you for your reply. I will definitely try one of those demo packs.

To make sure I understand though, if I wanted to try that Portland City freeware, I would need to purchase a region pack and then load that freeware?

I recommend to purchase the PNW package. (It's a great place to fly), but you may add the Portland Cityscape manually in your FSX.

Go to settings>scenery>scenery library>add then browse to the folder where the scenery is located and select it. The file must be somewhere at ...\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\FTX_NA... (I don't know the exact place in this folder because I have it not installed yet)

Cheers,

Felix

sirstiggie

Definitely try the demo, you'll see what is in store when you get the regional packs and add airports. KPDX is a cool little addon that is free and shows many of the distinct bridges and buildings of Portland. I added it into the PNW region pack and it looks great but I think it also looks pretty good as a stand alone when you add it to your FSX addon scenery library. It does not change the PDX airport but Orbx has done a lot of excellent small and medium airports in the PNW and elsewhere. Look at their website and you'll see for yourself.

good flights, Cal

Thanks for all the responses. I just finished downloading and installing the PNW Demo and, to be honest, I'm not sure if its working or not. The install went fine and I see a bunch of FTX objects listed in the FSX scenery library but when I select an KHQM or KPDX and fly around, the scenery looks the same as in the default FSX scenery. Am I missing a step?

No your missing airports. ORBX PNW Demo is a limited area along the Pacific Coast between the Columbia and Puget Sound. It has the mesh, land class etc. You can downlowd the Freeware airport KHQM and install it after you have installed the PNW demo and that airport will be enhanced from the default.

KPDX Cityscape is not within the PNW demo area and it is a Cityscape not an airport just the city of Portland, it will improve the default scenery around the city but NOT the airport.

If you decide to purchase the full PNW scenery package be aware that you MUST un-install the PNW DEMO before you can install the actual PNW scenery area. After you have the area installed you will see improvements in airport sceneries for selected airports but ORBX also sells addon airports that are installed after the PNW area that enhances that airport and surrounding area greatly from the already excellent scenery ORBX provides with the payware.

Hi Sirstiggie, on your desktop you should see an icon called 'FTXcentral' run this and make sure you have selected [North America]

Then load up at KHQM from your go-to-airport menu

@Spud, KHQM is included WITH the PNW demo (v2)

Cheers

Tim

Archived