Configuring a new FSX machine:0

I'm trying to configure a new machine with the main purpose being running FSX. There are a number of issues/trade-offs that I'm not sure how they will affect performance of FSX. Don't want to spend an extra $200 for an extra .3 FPS, but do want to really get the most FPS I can.

Here is a list of the issues I am currently thinking about:

1. 2600k or 3820? Right now I'm planning on CyperPowerPC as vendor for my new machine, which means a 3820 processor (I would get the 3.6Ghz plus the "30% or more" over-clocking option). But I've heard that the 2600k might be more easily over-clockable. And I've heard that processor speed is pretty much the key to high perf FSX. Should I be worried about the 3820? Seek out a 2600k machine elsewhere?

2. Over-clocking in general. Never done it before. Should I be scared -- is it a black art or pretty straight-forward nowadays? Is choosing the 30% rated parts the smart way to go?

3. Video card. I will confess that I will play some games other than FSX. I am debating between the NVidia 560 GTX ti, and the NVidia 670 GTX. Will the 670 actually have any effect on FSX vs. the 560? Or will I be so CPU bound that the GPU won't matter?

4. Memory speed. Planning on 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz, 4 sticks of 4 each. I realize this is more memory than FSX will need. But would the faster memory (2000Mhz) have any effect on framerate in FSX at all?

5. Motherboard. Planning on the ASUS P9X79 deluxe. Not sure if this is the best choice for over-clocking or not. I've heard some motherboards are "easier" to overclock than others. Is this motherboard overkill?

6. CyberPowerPC. Is this a good choice. Any other gaming machine providers I should be considering?

7. Timing. I might wait until early July to order. If I were to do that, is there anything on the near horizon that makes waiting make more sense?

8. SSD vs spinning disk. I know I can't afford an SSD big enough to hold my FSX install and data. But should I be getting an SSD (120GB, or 240GB) as my boot drive? If I do, what effect will it have on FSX in terms of loading time?

I am close to pulling the trigger on this machine, but I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake on some of these choices, because it'll be my machine for a couple of years or more. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

That "0" in the title was an accident. Sorry.

Best regards,

-Sam Cordell

hi sam.8. SSD vs spinning disk. I know I can't afford an SSD big enough to hold my FSX install and data. But should I be getting an SSD (120GB, or 240GB) as my boot drive? If I do, what effect will it have on FSX in terms of loading time? i think that the best and cheapest solution is the seagate momentus xt 750gb hard drive.this will speed up the load times in fsx and your boot times.it is highly recommended by others on this forum.sorry i can't answer the other questions...cheers bill

Hullo sam 8. ...adding a bit to bill ho's words of wisdom - Having used the momentus xt in four builds now, after a long string of SSD's, HDSL SSD's, velociraptors and straight Hdd's, I am happy to report that it is by far the fastest FSX drive I have used - no software involved and little defragging - a pain free solution to FSX and OS loading.

I have used SSD's for the OS with the momentus as the FSX drive, but find it equally quick with the OS on the momentus drive with FSX and no SSD.

The performance of my two Z68 mobos with 2600K's at 4.8 OC is so good as to have me shelve immediate plans for the Ivy bridge - so to save money and possible heat problems my recommendation would be the sandybridge of choice on air cooling, using a Noctua or high performance cooler such as the Enermax http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_23_845&products_id=18666 - I am using both with temps 55 - 62C.

Using 1600 memory unclocked gives excellent FSX performance - 8GB in one machine is as good as 16GB in the other.

Get the best video card you can afford - I'd go for the 670, but the 560Ti is OK, losing out in it's ability in heavier type cloud and extra traffic.

The Asus board you picked is one I was considering for an ivybridge upgrade, and is an easy overclocker from reports I've read, but I can report from experience that the Asrock and Gigabyte boards are good and easy to overclock - I would not be a bit concerned about lack of OC practice, as the 'K' chips (two i52500K and two 2600K) that I have clocked have been simple and trouble free.

You can build a system like that yourself, which is heaps of fun if you don't rush it.

Archived