My Epic Fail - Goodbye Vista

Charlie P.

As some here may have seen in the past couple weeks, I have built a totally new system over the course of about a month or so....totally new, except the hard drive and dvd drive. Well about Sunday evening, I had just finished playing a game and was causually talking to a friend on teamspeak (like usually plays out most evenings lol). Only durring my conversation my computer decided it was going to shut windows down and keep rebooting...failing to boot windows each time. I had read about this happening and what it means, but never quite experienced it myself, up until this point. I knew right then and there that my hard drive, the one pice of hardware I was still trying to rely on (with my windows vista home premium 64-bit) had seen its last day. I have to admit that having this happen gives you a pretty gut wrenching feeling inside...not knowing if you'll even be able to save anything on the failed disk...the financial hit that you know is going to take place because of it. Well since I had already invested 860 something dollars into this system, I was determined to not "go cheap" and have a high risk of this happening again. So I sucked it up this past Tuesday, and went back down to the mega store of computer parts in my area (Micro Center), and picked up a WD VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm 600GB 6gb/s SATA hard drive (I considered SSD, but went this route instead), along with a new copy of windows 7 64 bit to put on it. I have just now only got the os squared away (as this is the first place I came after getting the internet setup again), and no doubt have a long road of getting everything back to "normal". But nevertheless, even though I didn't want to make this move at first, and even though this has brought my new system total up to around 1350 dollars, I can honestly say that this new high speed drive makes quite a difference in the way the system operates now. Not to mention having a more "modern" operating system installed (which seems to be performing well so far). I guess I just didn't realize to what extent having a "slow" hard drive was not allowing me to take full advantage of my new system. Needless to say that I will no doubt be taking more of an advantage when it comes to using my 2TB 3.0 external for backing up a little more often now...lol. Just wanted to write this update and let some of the folks in here that may be doing the same thing I was (getting by with the "old" drive in the new system), that it is wise to take precausions...because once its gone, its gone (unless your able to have part of the files salvaged of course; depending on what part of the drive fails). I will try to give an update as to the performance difference inside of fsx once I get that and all the addons installed again (will take some great time lol).

I must say Charlie that at the end of the day you will find Windows 7 much more user freindly compared to Vista. However, I would recommend that you turn off the UAC in Win7 and run everything as Administrator. You can set this to happen automaticaly. Or am I preaching to the converted.

I must say Charlie that at the end of the day you will find Windows 7 much more user freindly compared to Vista. However, I would recommend that you turn off the UAC in Win7 and run everything as Administrator. You can set this to happen automaticaly. Or am I preaching to the converted.

I stopped usingb UAC a very long time ago myself. Thanks for the heads up though.

So far I seem to really like what this move has done. I can hardly wait to see the difference inside of fsx, once I get it setup on a system that will actually be able to run it at peak performance.

Win 7 is VISTA properly written with all the bugs out of it, so FSX will run faster and smoother. 64bit is more compatable with the modern CPU's as well.

By the way, you can access the files on your bad drive, even though the VISTA boot sector is damaged. The boot sector is seperate from the File Allocation Tables.

Just insert it in another bootable machine (your new one will do) and use Windows Explorer to open the damaged drive and transfer the files you want to another drive.

Archived