Extra aerobatics over YMLT with Fraps and a Cachya head tracking demo

linden

First vid is my first shot at trying out Fraps with some aerobatics in the Extra over YMLT.  Read all the tweaks in the forums (thanks for all the support, even with programs outside of ORBX!), but still struggling with in-game frame rates in trying to get smooth fraps vids.  Second one shows how nice the Cachya head tracking software works.  Just came across this the other day and it's an awesome way to "look around" FTX!  For the price and simplicity of set-up, seems a very good alternative to TrackIR.  $15 for the software, cheap web cam (mine only does about 13 fps), printed paper target that you tape to a hat, and that's it!

http://www.vimeo.com/1768224

http://www.vimeo.com/1772534

I looked at the Cachya head tracking site. It looks very complicated to get it set up. I am assuming that the webcam has to be centered above (or on top of) the monitor. Does it only work or effect the view in VC mode?

I have dropped some very strong hints to my kids about getting a TrackIR system for Christmas.

TrackIR is definitely the highest quality/most simple way to go with this stuff.  I just figured for the price I could spend some time tweaking around with it and it has actually started to work pretty good.  In reality, it was a lot easier to set up than I thought it would be.  Having the web cam plugged in is also a drain on the CPU which is not an issue with trackir.  I'm playing around with both Cachya and Freetrack.  I'm at a stand still with free track becuase I haven't been able to "build" a good hat with LED's yet.  Cachya is nice in that all you have to do is print out their target on an inkjet printer and tape it to a hat.  Lot easier than soldering LED's!  Cachya does do some wierd/annoying stuff as the light changes in the room, so you have to keep adjusting the exposure settings on the web cam.  If I end up using this type of stuff a bit they I'll probably invest in TrackIR, just want to make sure I'll use it enough to get my money's worth first I guess.

Good stuff!

Track IR is the way if you can budget it. I use Cachya and have since it came out. Try to get any help or post on their forum, good luck, it is locked and they have not replied to any e-mails I have sent.

It works great in FSX and does take some time to get set up right, so does Track IR. The more time you spend and fiddle with it the better it will work.

Heck at the price they are asking it's worth a shot. You just have to not stop and get that cuppa and smokes (I can't understand why anyone would) at the servo for two days.

If you have another system networked then run it on the network PC and it has no impact on CPU usage, it will drag down your sim.

Rob

Great videos Linden.

I've actually had Freetrack working using 3 leds on the side of a cap. I copied an Idea using a rear bike lamp. It worked quite well once it was set up. I don't use it now however because I found having a lamp on one side of my head rather uncomfortable. I may try making up the rig to fit on the front of a cap one day. I'm sure that would work very well with infrared diodes.(and be more comfortable) As Track IR is out of the question :( I may give Cachya a go as I've seen quite a few good demos.

Mark :)

I have Cachya too Finney, and as for their forums, what I cannot understand is they are locked, but they are still releasing new versions.

Last forum post was may, but last release was Sep 08?

Bloody wierd if you ask me. Anyway, I too have it working quite successfully here as well with their 64bit version in FSX

Archived