YBBN - Update RWY APP lights for 01/19 to 3D?

XCLTM3

Will ORBX update the Rwy App lights at YBBN to 3D? The rest of the airport (eg taxiways) are in 3D so I'm just wondering. Also YMML, YBCS, YSCB are 3D also.

I left a previous topic on this dated Feb 18th but still no reply from anyone?

Rgds,

As YBBN is a performance sensitive airport, i am reluctant to make any changes that will drop performance and add any complexity. So its probably no for now.

Thx for the reply Martin.

No chance you can develop a "fix" or "patch" for those of us who are willing to forego any performance drop?

Much appreciated.

Thx for the reply Martin.

No chance you can develop a "fix" or "patch" for those of us who are willing to forego any performance drop?

Much appreciated.

Plus 1 here as well for 3D runway lights for YBBN then I can add this Airport to my collection.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

It took 2 developers eighteen months to make Brisbane, they have added patches and service packs all along however I am sure that you understand there must be a time to draw a line. The customer base for 3d is small, so there is little incentive to do extras and whilst to an outsider it might seem like a small task let me assure you it is not. Any extras that are added take considerable time and resources, resources that could be deveoted to creating extra product elsewhere, just saying ya know.

From examining the objectflow for the YMML runway lights, it appears that the lights are placed using longitude and latitude and height above ground . Are these the only time consuming calculations that have to be performed to place the objects at the correct position?

Kind Regards

Bernie.

It took 2 developers eighteen months to make Brisbane, they have added patches and service packs all along however I am sure that you understand there must be a time to draw a line. The customer base for 3d is small, so there is little incentive to do extras and whilst to an outsider it might seem like a small task let me assure you it is not. Any extras that are added take considerable time and resources, resources that could be deveoted to creating extra product elsewhere, just saying ya know.

I understand Jerry, thx for the insight.

My only query is that since other major ORBX airports in Aus have their Rwy/App lights coded in 3D (also taxiways, floods, etc) wouldn't it be congruous to make all the Orbx major Aus airport lights in 3D?

Many 3rd party airport add-ons are now coding 3D for all lights within the airport incl Rwy/App. I'm not certain if 3D is as niche as thought.

Anyhow, consistency was my main point. Do 1, do them all.

Rgds,

Bernie I dont actually know what would be involved in doing this work just trying to give you a developers perspective and say politely that it isnt a big issue for the team at the moment. Each Airport is hand crafted by developers and they are not all the same, there is no cookie cutter approach in ORBX scenery. Keep in mind that YBBN was created almost three years ago, speaking as a developer it would not be a time and place I would want to go back too and I would need significant incentive to revisit it. Its a little like asking the developers of Call of Duty 2 to go back and bring it up to Call of Duty 4 if you get my drift, yes it would be consistent but the effort would outweigh the gains. Marty has said probably no for now, not a blanket no but reading between the lines he isnt inclined to go back there at the moment. Trying to provide a soution for you to have these lights I can only suggest that you could purchase Instant Scenery 2 (or use one of the free object placer programs) and add 3-d lights wherever you like, you will be restricted to having it for your own use but it is a solution.

Jerry, thx very much for the heads-up on IS2, I'd never heard of it before.

Looked at the product page at flight1 and the video demo. I didn't see anything related to it's ability/inability to add 3D Rwy/App/Taxi/Flood lights. Can anyone clarify for certain either way? If it does, I'll purchase the product and upgrade many other default fsx airports.

Rgds,

Hi Jerry,

Thankyou for your response and I certainly didn't want you to think I was trying to simplfy the effort that had to be put into such a task. Am I correct that the first version of YMML did not have these 3D runway lights? I thought, as other posters may have thought, that what ever changed the lights in YMML may have been a generic tool for such a change for other Airport runway lighting. I will have a look at the suggestions you have offered. Thanks.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

The 3D lights are developed in house and are not as simple as just placing objects, nor are they an "effect". They have to be tuned to the specific airport and application so as Jerry has said is a time consuming task.

It is very difficult to want to go back to an old project to update unless its for a serious issue. The lights would largley be cosmetic in this circumstance because at the end of the day the default runway lighting works better in reality, they turn on and off properly in different light and visibility conditions and they follow pretty closely the real world light configuations and colours.

The 3D lights are developed in house and are not as simple as just placing objects, nor are they an "effect". They have to be tuned to the specific airport and application so as Jerry has said is a time consuming task.

It is very difficult to want to go back to an old project to update unless its for a serious issue. The lights would largley be cosmetic in this circumstance because at the end of the day the default runway lighting works better in reality, they turn on and off properly in different light and visibility conditions and they follow pretty closely the real world light configuations and colours.

Hi Martin,

The reason this is being asked is not for the fact that your 3D lights are better or worse than the default, it is purely that your 3D runway lights at YMML are also rendered correctly for Anaglyph 3D and I guess any other 3D renderer. It was such a suprise for the first time, seeing correctly placed 3D runway lighting at night at an airport in FSX without seeing double as you do with the default lighting. This took FSX to a totally new level of realism. There have been other posts regarding the 3D lighting in the past http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/32407-can-i-remove-all-of-orbx-night-lighting/page__fromsearch__1 and http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/39767-upgrading-to-ymml-v2/page__fromsearch__1

Kind Regards

Bernie.

Archived