Can you believe this AI is FREEWARE?

squeeker

I'm amazed by the quality of this free AI!! Thought I'd share some piccies.

Secondly, I found a quick enhancement that I found called "Nick's AI Jet Exhaust" at www.avsim.com

It provides a subtle smoke behind AI jets (you can see it in the 4th pic). Looks pretty good shimmering effect behind the engines on the ground as the AI taxi around. It requires installing a small file and then

manually editing the aircraft.cfg for each AI model. I didn't notice any dip in FPS. If it's OK with the powers that be, I'd be happy to provide a zip file with all of my modified aircraft.cfgs for the FTX freeware aircraft.

Click for a larger image:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice shots Squeeker!

I have to agree, the work done on these AI aircraft is superb, generally AI models are only passable at a distance due to the low polly count, but these are taking centre stage and still holding up to scrutiny! fantastic work guys.

Russ.

I would love to see the modified cfg's being released here. Let the powers that be, be benevolent  ;D

Thanks Rob for helping me test out the modified .cfg files for the jet exhaust modification.

Is there any interest in the wider community in adding jet exhaust to the AI traffic? This thread had been pretty quiet so I'll just wait and see what sort of response there is before I take it any further. Also if anyone from the FTX AI team is reading, would there be any issue in releasing such a mod to the community?

The mod is great. Release it! ;D. Make it it a neat package with installer. Perhaps Koorby might help with the installer?

Rob

Mate not everybody has had the same results as us. I've had reports of framerates suffering, which wasn't an issue for me on my older Q6600. I'm a bit reluctant to make something widely available if it's not up to scratch.. Maybe someone else would like to give it a go and report back to the forum.

Indeed it's a good point. My setup:

- C2D 6850 at 3Ghz

- 8800 GTX 768MB

- 4 Gig RAM

- Win XP SP3

However the fact that some systems might not handle it, might not be a problem of a mod package not being up to scratch. Effects do sometimes take some framerates away. If I fly around YMML my system suffers considerably.

My 2 (euro) cents :)

Rob 

I tested it and did not see any noticeable change to the AI, and did have a slight FPS hit of about 3-4 fps.  Strange thing is that I install all the effect files, and modified all of the .cfg files for the AI, but did not see the smoke/exhaust effect. 

So for me, with an older p4 3.4 ghs processor I reverted back to the original settings.  ( but this is my results, others may find this very nice to add).  Hope this test helps some people decide.

thanks for the feedback gwolb, I appreciate your help.

The effect is very subtle, and extremely hard to capture in screenshots. You can kinda see it in pics 4 and 5 of the above screengrabs. I wonder if the effects were working at all for you?

Yea, that's what I was thinking that the effect was not even working.  I know enough about how to make changes like this to be dangerous, but think I may have not installed correctly.  I know I copied the effects into the effects folder, and then copied all of the .cfg changes to the AI aircraft.  Maybe it just my system is to old and needs more horse power. 

Archived