AI package

harpsi

Hi

Your AI package for australian airlines is very good. However the files are too heavy and they take away a lof of frames. All the .dds files have 1.33 MB, Is it possible to have files of 1 MB for the day file and 256 K for the night files of all aircrafts? How can I convert those textures?

harpsi

The 1.33 MB files are texture files with mips, ie multiple texture sheets within a texture file. This means that as you move further away from the AI aircraft, the texture sub-sheet used for the aircraft is smaller and smaller and thus renders quicker. Although the file is 1.33 MB it will actually render faster than a single 1 MB texture sheet. It also looks better as you move away from the aircraft as it reduces or eliminates aliasing issues.

If you still wish to convert these files, you can use a program like DXTBmp. Just open the texture file and save it again without MipMaps.

The 1.33 MB files are texture files with mips, ie multiple texture sheets within a texture file. This means that as you move further away from the AI aircraft, the texture sub-sheet used for the aircraft is smaller and smaller and thus renders quicker. Although the file is 1.33 MB it will actually render faster than a single 1 MB texture sheet. It also looks better as you move away from the aircraft as it reduces or eliminates aliasing issues.

If you still wish to convert these files, you can use a program like DXTBmp. Just open the texture file and save it again without MipMaps.

The problem is frames per second... Those aircrafts are really framerate eating...

And which option from DXTbmp? I can not see there "no mipmaps" option...

harpsi

On the right hand side of the main panel under MipMaps, deselect the option 'Include when saving'.

I would be inclined to do some testing first. I have an aging computer and I definitely improved my frames after converting to mipped textures. Unfortunately, AI aircraft will chew up your frames regardless but I just can't fly without them. I put up with the frame rate hit and run my AI traffic at 100%. I wouldn't fly any other way.

On the right hand side of the main panel under MipMaps, deselect the option 'Include when saving'.

I would be inclined to do some testing first. I have an aging computer and I definitely improved my frames after converting to mipped textures. Unfortunately, AI aircraft will chew up your frames regardless but I just can't fly without them. I put up with the frame rate hit and run my AI traffic at 100%. I wouldn't fly any other way.

Hi

When I save textures without saving mipmaps, the lenght of the file is still 1,33 MB. How to reduce it to at least 1 MB?

harpsi

Archived