Almost over it

Mal Walker

Well I have been reading loads of reviews on GPU's and with the budget I have it is going to be Nvidia GTX260 or ATI Radeon 4870.

I have just read a post on these forums where the GTX260 is not giving the performance it is supposed to.

I am sick of reading reviews and this versus that and as the heading says I'm over it.

I am only running a 7600GT 256mb and need to upgrade urgently, can someone please shed some light on these two cards and guide me to the right purchase for FSX and FTX. ???

Wish I could say something sensible Mal,

I have my EVGA 9800GTX sc 512 with 177.83 drivers installed and must admit I'm as happy as the lil piggie in the mud with it.

It will be a continuos balance/battle between either ATI or nVidia, at the moment it seems that the swing is towards ATI, they where in dire straits for a wee while and now seem to emerge from that, nVidia seem to be the one that gets the wack nowadays, at the end of the day it's your wallet that makes the decission for you, what gives you the best bang for your buck.

And as for all the "reviews" well, they are as good as the ones that tested it and unfortunatly they allways test the stuff we don't use, as all know that MS fsX is one of the heaviest applications around, hence they stay far away from it as it's to complicated for them :( or they want to show the "highest" whatever score, wich imho is a lot of crap, what matters is that things run smooth and pleasantly, I don't give a rats ass about 1,000 fps if the game looks like a slide show.

my personal taste still is with nVidia, as for the 260 or 280, well they are relatively very fresh/new cards, so there are still some issues with the drivers there wich I'm convinced will be cured in the not to distant future.

I've had the impression that ATI had higher quality picture or somehow worked better with FSX in the image quality. I am not sure if that is true, I'd be interesting to know if anyone here had first had info.

Always been a Nvidia man also , never used ATI in the past ive had Nvidia 7600GS then updated to a Nvidia 9600GT whitch is in my older rig when i got this card i also had to up my power, In my new rig i have 2x Nvidia 9800GX2 in SLI whitch iam really happy with.

Wish I could say something sensible Mal,

I have my EVGA 9800GTX sc 512 with 177.83 drivers installed and must admit I'm as happy as the lil piggie in the mud with it.

Wolter I have read a lot about your card but can't seem to be able to get the same one here, the standard 9800GTX has had some pretty ordinary reviews and yet there are people that are happy with it.

I am heading off to the technology market tomorrow to get some good prices and to confuse myself even more. ???

I'm running two 9800 GX2's in SLI. That chart gave the GX2 high's but forgot to mention SLI for the GX2. I had a few teething probs at first but with the latest beta drivers, running triple head2go, it's bloody awesome (but it's also horrendously expensive).

Others shy away from SLi and it's not such good value for money, but if you can afford it, any little edge is worth it, in my opinion,

Frank

Hi Mal,

I just bought the Gigabyte Ati4850 512mb, and what an improvement from the 7600GS I had. Admitidly, I had an old AMD processor, and given FSX's cpu bound, that hindered me as well.

I would have liked the 4870x2, but the budget didnt stretch that far, so I had to settle for the 4850.

Regards

Craig

Archived