Ivy Bridge release March 2012

rockliffe

Common knowledge for someone like me who googles "news intel Ivy Bridge" every day. :) What's really interesting is the Ultrabooks that are coming out to compete with the Mac Book. So there is a huge market for these 22nm already. There was a report that Intel setup a $100 Million in R&D funds for OEMs so they can make it happen. Asus, Acer and a couple already have fairly competitive models , but still not as thin as the current MacBook.

These projects are big every time they go to something like 22nm they start with land surveyors and clearing dirt, it's nice to know they are 100% operational.

Thanks rockliffe,

I loaned my Asrock Ext 7 Gen 3 mobo (now fitted with an i7 2600k) pc to an international heavy jet pilot friend of mine for practicing for his instrument rating renewal , if and when I get it back I will try an Ivy Bridge - wonder what the price point will be? ::)

Good pick-up Howard.

A bit sad tho, to see that PCI-E 3.0 will not make it on the boards (it's actually on there but will not be operational, as the certification has not been gained for release) and so far, the sandy bridge is giving it a really good run for it's money, but it will sell like hot-cakes, of course.

I'd like to think I'd be smart and wait for the second wave, when all the bugs are fixed and technologies promised surface (PCI-E 3, etc.), but I'll probably bite the bullet and get in early, like many others looking for Nirvana,

Frank

It will be interesting to see how much more performance this will actually give FSX, I have the i7 2600K @4.4 on 3 cores and it never peaks at 100% on any core. Can it really gain over 50% more? Watch this space....

When are they finally going to create the "universal socket" instead of new socket type every year or so. I think I have 1156 and this is going to be 1155. Why not make a 50 x 50 pin universal socket (call it LGA 2500) and leave more room to the mobo manufacturers to provide support for different types of CPUs. The CPUs could come with "borders" to force them into correct place on the 50 x 50 pin grid. Well, I'm not a circuit board engineer so I maybe I don't get something... Except maybe that's it's all a plot to get to our money on a regular basis... :)

It was interesting to note that the last twelve monthly revenue for Intel was something like 6.4 billion dollars, not bad for an international company spending millions of dollars every year, until you find out that Microsoft made over ten times that with their software sales in the last twelve months.....

A little uneven don't you think?

Frank

Tennyson: Maybe Microsoft is making a lot of money but they do have their hands in a lot more things than Intel. Intel seem to do two things extremely well build fabs and produce chips. It's surprising they don't build Solar Panels yet or at least build the fabs.

Archived