A bit of history changed

teecee

Bear in mind that this link is going to take you to an English newspaper,.

It seems that we have never really known the truth about the "Dam Buster "raid. A very sad tale.

/>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2047476/Revealed-70-years-Dambusters-legend-shot-BRITISH-airman-mistook-German.html

The other thing about English newspapers is that they are not required by law to tell the truth and the Daily Mail i think is on that list of papers that have been know to invent a story or two and fear munger over minor things etc....

Still one of the things about war is that accidents/mistakes can happen even a sad one like that :(

This was very common. I recall reading amemoir by a Lanc navigator. He recalls one one mission over Germanys seeing a Lanc from thier Squadron struck by the bombs of abother plane bombing from a higher altitude

Friendly Fire is a part of any war and still happens today.

The outset of the Afghanistan War we saw 4 Canadian solders killed and 8 Canadian solders wounded when an American F-16 dropped a laser-guided 225-kg bomb on the Canadians who were on an exercise in a marked area.....Even today with all of our technology this still happens.

Back then they didn't have the technology we have today so that made matters worse. That is called Fog of War.

Some years ago I was able to interview a rear gunner from a lancaster Fred Whitfield DFC for a CFS website, He was in No9 squadron Lancaster's, he told me that this was a very common occurrence. The Mosquito was often mistaken for a German twin engine. As most of the RAF raids were at night it was somewhat inevitable that this would happen.

On one occasion their plane was fired on by our ground anti aircraft gunners while returning from a raid. Its a sad consequence of every war.

Ian

Archived