Flight Planning

drwalker

Hi all. I know this has been done before, but I am having difficulty deciding between Abacus Co-pilot Pro, Vroute info premium, and Flightsim Commander X for general use. I mainly fly turboprops, but have the Level D 767 and PMDG 747. Most of my flying is within Aus, but not all. I have not yet gotten into online flying eg Vatsim - although that can change. Does anyone here have experience of more than one of the above? Any help is much appreciated. I have a real life multi-engine command instrument rating, so am reasonably familiar with real world procedures.

There is a very basic program called NAV3  ( a basic FSNAV) which for some reason works in FSX.. for the life of me I cannot understand why this one works and fsnav does not, or why as dumpware someone with the necessary skills has not picked up fsnav and modified it for FSX.. surely this can be done? Although I paid for the original FSNAV, I would gladly pay again for a working copy for FSX.Teecee.

I suggest you download the free vroute standard because the premium (payware) version functionality is also visible in it (but disabled) and you'll get a good idea if payware vroute would be good enough for you. If not, get FSBuild, it's pretty "pro" also only with a bit old-fashioned and partly cumbersome UI. Despite the UI, it has pretty much everything you normally need.

In short: FSBuild is very comprehensive but also more diffucult to use - vroute is easy but lacks some features (but may very well be more than enough for you).

I've been thinking about running some sort of flight planning course, Map reading and GA Flight planning for some time but I'm not sure of how well it would be recieved. Many who congregate on these forums are more into the Larger Aircraft aka Domestic and International Liner's which I almost never fly.

Who would be interested ?

Sounds intereting Maurice. If you would like a little help with it, let me know. I had some ideas years ago about atype of flight sim flight school. While I am only a private pilot with no instrument rating, I may be of help.

I believe that Flight Sim Commander is accessible but not in the same way as FS Nav , I know I harp a bit but haveing all this shit on screen is VERY annoying to me, a paper chart and  Note pad with various Heading and distances from Nav Aids as jotted down when I planned the flight is all I use, I'm afraid that the KISS principle reins supreme. 

I've done Navigational exercises where we were given a Take Off point in the last 5 Mins before the start and several Directions, like TO and Fly  120Deg 12 NM  then turn to a heading of 090 for 22 Nm  etc and the amount of errors people had were amazing, simply because the various Pilots could not work out the Distance based on their IAS and  allow for the Wind etc, IMHO all the Planning tols in the World are worth absolutely diddley if they fail in flight, and if you have no backup your screwed it's that simple. 

I don't think you would find a Commercial Pilot worth his/her salt that doesn't take to the Air with a paper copy of the Planned route.

Archived