Charts

macca22au

For some reason I couldn't get my reply into dmrich's thread on charts, so another try

Hey guys, its not rocket science

And its free.

Go to this address and print off the airfield and approach plates for whichever aiports you want.

Your flying will be greatly improved and a lot more fun if you learn how to read the plates, and practice some of the approaches:

First in fine weather, then in low cloud just above the legal minimum, then at night, then at night in low cloud.  There's plenty of stuff in the Learning Section of FSX, and in other sites, on instrument flying - the most challenging flying of all.

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/aip.asp

Dave, I hadn't noticed that.

If any member is close enough to a secondary aerodrome (Moorabbin, Parafield, Archerfield etc) then I suggest a visit to the pilot shop - they all have a place that sells maps and provides official information, along with lots of lovely other stuff. 

If you can get it, the ERSA has information on practically all airfields and NAVAIDs in Austalia.

Buy the WAC charts (World Aeronautical Charts 1:1,000,000 or 1 nautical mile to the inch)for your area and start drawing your course (with pencil of course).

Get the visual terminal charts for your area, which show the approved routes around primary airports. Try those and pick the visual turning points from FTX.  In the real world don't expect the Class C clearances that FSX ATC always gives you.  Blundering around in the approaches to Sydney and Melbourne brings the nasty out in ATC, and can have some men in suits calling on you.

If you're into it, get the high altitude route charts, the Instrument Terminal Area Charts, and print off from the AIP the approach plates, SIDS and STARS, that you need.

All this builds the fun and achievement of simming.

Too be honest I really do not know why you fellas (if flying in OZ ) just buy the WAC charts for where you want to go  Digitise them and then you can use them with any moving map program BUT for me it is map in hand, plot the course you want get the current Met (assuming the Met report is the same as VATSIM) plan your course with corrections allowing for wind speed and direction etc and look for known Nav points, bugger letting the plane to fly the route based on your FMC or AP do it your self.  for me GA IS flying  Tubies is not much more than a bloody Tourist Coach with wings, BUT I dips me Lid to 'em  it takes all sorts in the real world and so to the Sim.

Archived