A new way to view FSX?

Tim Harris

3D headset, with the equivalent screen size of 750 inches

/>http://www.gizmodo.com.au/tags/hmz-t1/

Combined with your buttkicker, trackclippro, headphones, and a big plastic yoke, you can expect to really impress your wife's friends on their next visit with your snazzy man-pilot display :)

This bit ....

When I tried playing Gran Turismo, I found myself pivoting my head to look left and right although that has no effect on the display (of course)

... is the one bit that's missing though. Having 3d out in front of you (and wrapping a little to the sides? Does it provide peripheral vision?) is all well and good, but if I can't turn my head to the left and see what's to the left I haven't really gained that much more situational awareness than Track IR gives me now. If I can combine it with Track IR then bring it on!!

I wonder how hard it would be for them to add acceleration detection similar to the iPhone and pick up head movement. That'd have no issues with the IR reflector going out of view as you turn your head.

Only known problem with these things and gaming is that they don't exactly provide that 5ms refresh time that your monitor does. Just looking at that extra box tells me that wasn't really a concern this time around. Still the price alone makes this promising, can't wait for next years model!

Need a brail keyboard !

You would need to see out and down a bit if you have a simpit .

I remember a conversation about this a couple of years ago when I recalled an experience using these things a decade ago as a funfair thing . It was awsome. I was in a boxing ring arrangement , so we wouldn't wander off , with guns shooting at these pterodactyls flying at us . As you turned so did the scenery . You point the gun in real life and your virtual arm followed through . Walking around in real time and Virtually walking around synchronised within the scenery.

This has heaps of potential . Im excited at the thought .

The one problem with Track IR, Heiko, is that the accuracy reduces as you turn your head. They don't truly represent a full turn of the head to look over your shoulder as the sensor looses the reflective dot (or IR diode). Accelerometers wouldn't have that problem. All they would require is a sync to centre at the start and the occasional one if they drift a bit (just like your Track IR does now).

Alan, I remember the exact set up you mentioned. It was in the foyer of a club when I was living in Sydney about 20 years ago.

The one problem with Track IR, Heiko, is that the accuracy reduces as you turn your head. They don't truly represent a full turn of the head to look over your shoulder as the sensor looses the reflective dot (or IR diode). Accelerometers wouldn't have that problem. All they would require is a sync to centre at the start and the occasional one if they drift a bit (just like your Track IR does now).

Oh i think it's good enough for our sim. You can fine tune the curves until it works satisfying. Of course an accelerometer would be a very elegant solution, but that might push up the price considerably.

Now further developments have led Sony to incorporate head-tracking into the device, paving the way for a virtual reality experience.

The tech is being experimented on with a number of games including first-person shooters, but there appears to be no solid product launch plans for now.

“At the moment it’s just a head-mounted display; the head isn’t being tracked – but that’s something we’re doing R&D on,” Hocking said.

Prototype stuff, but they are working on it. :) How well it will work with flight sim software is an open question though.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/38244/Sony-Were-testing-3D-virtual-reality-games

Archived