Is the tide really out at 6WA2?

mugc

I have a query regarding the water runway at 6WA2, or lack thereof.

Did a flight from WA45 to 6WA2 in the piper J2 Cub with floats recently, and was anticipating a water runway. On arrival I discovered that the tide was out there was only mudflats to be found! Checked a few other float plane bases in PNW and all is fine water wise with those.

Did a quick search of the forum and came across this post regarding fixes & enhancements included way back in the PNW patch 002, which mentioned.....

“Enhancements and New Content:…..

* land class and object enhancements to sloped airfield 6WA2 including placement of nearby mudflats (Holger)”

That seems like the obvious answer to me – but thought I would ask just to confirm......Is the water runway at 6WA2 suppose to be high and dry on the mudflat in FTX PNW?

I did check the map within FSX to verify where the water runway was placed, sure enough, it is on the mud (in my system anyway!). Google maps does show mudflats in the bay where FSX/Orbx has the runway - that's a pretty good hint!

This is a pretty minor concern - just wondering if placement is correct....

Have the latest PNW.004 patches installed along with the latest libraries (110614). System is an i7 950 at factory settings, 6 GB DDR3 RAM, Nvidia GTX 460 video card with 1 GB ram.

Thank-you... Jim

Hi Jim,

indeed, that's as it's supposed to be: with mudflats.

I must admit that I was focused on the (steeply sloped) runway of the airstrip and didn't really consider water landings when I put in the mudflats. I suppose it would make sense to at least move the water runway's start postitions farther down the inlet to avoid confusing users. I've made a note regarding that for the next PNW service pack. Thanks for the heads-up on that.

It would be nice to have the ability for tides in FSX but, unfortunately, variability in water properties is only possible at seasonal time scales, and even that involves tweaks outside the FSX SDK documentation.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger!

It does seem odd to be heading to 6WA2 with floats after all of the work you put into the runway - but the water runway at WA45 renewed my interest in the A2A J2 Cub with floats and I needed somewhere interesting to go for a round trip... BTW - the mudflats really do look like mudflats! Amazing job! We have a good case of those at the end of Burrard Inlet in Port Moody as well, a bit fragrant on a hot summer day!

Cheers - Jim

Archived