Floating plane at KUIL

billhuntsman

I just did a flight from Diamond Point to Quillayute (KUIL) and discovered a floating plane in the parking area. See below. I tried recycling FTX Central throught Default & NA again just to see if the problem went away, but it didn't. It's not a big issue, but I thought you'd want to know.

Bill

Posted Image

Hi Bill, it looks like just one of those occasional anomolies that FSX decides to throw up whenever it's having a tantrum! One thing you may like to consider though is adding the HighMemfix to your cfg file. It fixes errors when textures are being loaded and especially when large amounts of memory are being used. It may be something else but morre than likely either of those two things I suspect.

Thanks for your reply, Howard. The first time I saw this was a flight from Diamon Point to KUIL. Diamond point does use a lot of resources, so I thought maybe the system was stretched. However, I have a fairly decent i7 computer with lots of RAM and I tried today starting at KUIL with the default Cessna. That area shouldn't put any strain on the system. The plane is still floating. (It's visible from GA parking #1, a little to the left.)

I'm reluctant to tweak the cfg file.

Does anybody else see this floating plane at KUIL?

Hi Bill,

Your computers fine. Thanks for spotting this little anomaly, it truly has been floating for the past couple of years (since PNW was released). Thanks to your report it is now "grounded". When we do another SP it will be included.

Again, thanks for spotting this.

Cheers, Neil (the PNW, PFJ, NRM, etc airport guy)

Interesting that I did a couple of touch and goes at this apt and never noticed it.

If you don't want to wait until the patch comes out to fix, and you have Instant Scenery or similar...just go to

Flight Simulation 10\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_NRM05_SCENERY\Scenery

FILE: FTX_PNW_objects_EmmaX_NW_Quadrant_PLC.bgl

Select the plane object and lower it to 0.00 elevation like I just did. The patch will likely replace this bgl when it comes out and overwrite it so the result will be the same in the end.

Thanks Fltsimguy,

I never thought about letting people know the file name but I certainly could. I'd love just to attach the corrected file but in this case that file contains some add'l changes for the area that were part of PNW SP4 which would be a problem for those who hadn't installed it.

How much trouble was it to find the right file? It was in the NW quadrant of the old EmmaX area where I started my working with ORBX, hence the name.

Cheers, Neil

Well generally I don't mess with the files as I know you folks are extremely good, perhaps the best product support in the flightsim community and a patch is usually created and provided in short order.

But I also do scenery design work, for personal use and freeware distribution so I understand the program architechure and can make changes to object placement etc very easily. I just happen to be "beefing" up many of the strips I land at. Spend a hour adding airport clutter and other features, just to improve the experience. Soon I have many many airports that when I return have better or new life over the original.

Anyway, using instant scenery, if one does not know for sure where the objects are, there is a feature to search, within whatever range (distance) you choose to find All objects. Using the object files name that is generated its easy to search your scenery folders for that particular file, load it in for editing and then resave it, presto. Seconds only required.

For me, with my general knowledge and application skills it was such a quick fix I just decided to do it myself while I was there instead of wait for the patch.

cheers.

Very good Brian, glad you were able to find the file.

You know that you have to be careful with the knowledge of how to spiffy up airports. That's what I was doing when I volunteered to help Holger with the Emma X area to hurry along that project as I had a trailer at Lake Cushman. Holger happened to be working with ORBX on PNW and he suggested I might like to help and one thing lead to another and...here I am working on my 5th area (NCA).

Cheers, Neil

To funny Neil. I'm spending considerable time getting ready for a cross country 5th wheel RV trip to see the continent starting in Sept. I really don't like to spend too much time in scenery making and flying (except for some short hops - early morning or late evening) during the summer, too much else to do....like golfing, hiking.

Now that I am retired I will be looking to put out some freeware sceneries again in the fall ...mostly completed but I want to go back and tidy up some things before uploading them.

cheers, Bryan

Archived