"Red Tails" Movie Trailer

This looks excellent. B-17s, Bf-109s, P-40s, P-51s, Me-262s, you name it. And a great story to boot!

Lucasfilm announced today that Red Tails will be released by 20th Century Fox on January 20, 2012. The first trailer and new images from the film have been released which you can view below!

A high-flying action epic inspired by the heroic exploits of the first all African-American aerial combat unit, Red Tails is produced by Rick McCallum and Charles Floyd Johnson and directed by Anthony Hemingway ("Treme", "The Wire", "Battlestar Galactica").

[...]

Red Tails stars Cuba Gooding Jr., Terrence Howard, Bryan Cranston, Nate Parker, David Oyelowo, Tristan Wilds, Cliff Smith aka Method Man, Kevin Phillips, Rick Otto, Lee Tergesen, Andre Royo, Ne-Yo, Elijah Kelley, Marcus T. Paulk, Leslie Odom Jr., Michael B. Jordan and Daniela Ruah.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=80471

I wonder how they will work the love triangle in to this one.

I'm afraid I hold little hope for the storyline of just about any movie coming out of holywood. I feel that the original Tuskegee Airmen will be the more accurate portrail of history. I am also a little concerned about highly manueverable Me-262's, P-51's chasing down Me-262's, and P-51's making ships explode.

Sometimes a movie like this can just be a good fun popcorn movie. Sit back, switch the brain off and enjoy the show. If it entertains you for a couple of hours and you walk away from it happy, who cares if it's not totally faithful to history (or indeed physics!). I'll go see it for sure, looks like a fun ride ;)

Good to see something original from Lucasfilm too! Maybe someone was trawling through their archives and dug out an old Amiga copy of Battlehawks 1942 and got all inspired'n'stuff :P

Cheers,

Derek

Sorry but that looks truly 'bring your own sickbag' and God Bless the USA dreadful. There is nothing more depressing than revisionist 'Hollywood History films', particularly war films and especially WWII war films and I'm glad I've seen (nearly all of) the trailer and saved myself 20 quid! Awful!

Sometimes a movie like this can just be a good fun popcorn movie. Sit back, switch the brain off and enjoy the show. If it entertains you for a couple of hours and you walk away from it happy, who cares if it's not totally faithful to history (or indeed physics!). I'll go see it for sure, looks like a fun ride ;)

The problem I have with 'popcorn' history warping is that there is now a large chunk of young society walking around thinking that two men in P-40's, one of which won the Battle of Britton, ripped apart a great chunk of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour and then went on to lead the Doolittle raid. All the while both thinking they are in love with the same girl.

I am also a little concerned about highly manueverable Me-262's, P-51's chasing down Me-262's, and P-51's making ships explode.

I noticed that too....My grandfather (George Lawson) encountered a couple of Me 262's.....According to his logbook:

"Bill Austin and I encountered a couple of jet-powered Me 262's. We dived on them, but they pulled away. I was flying AE-D (RM 689)"

That is a more realistic version of events with the Me 262. The way the trailer showed it was laughable but I bet it will be entertaining.

The problem with films like this is the younger generation takes these types of films to be historically accurate. They are sensational and entertainment really.

Cheers :D

Guest Dontay

I almost mistaken this post about the made for HBO movie -

which also stars Cuba Gooding Jr.

Hmmm, looks promising. A bit "Hollywood" in places but certainly looks like it has potential. :)

The problem with movies portraying air combat is that unlike ground assaults, I'm sure it's incredibly hard to do without it looking a bit "Hollywood". As a matter of fact, I can't think of not one massive air combat movie that didn't. A few fighter jets engaged in a dog fight is one thing, but a few formations of bombers being attacked by fighters?

I noticed that too....My grandfather (George Lawson) encountered a couple of Me 262's.....According to his logbook:

"Bill Austin and I encountered a couple of jet-powered Me 262's. We dived on them, but they pulled away. I was flying AE-D (RM 689)"

That is a more realistic version of events with the Me 262. The way the trailer showed it was laughable but I bet it will be entertaining.

The problem with films like this is the younger generation takes these types of films to be historically accurate. They are sensational and entertainment really.

and here are a couple of interesting real life accounts of P-51 Mustangs engaging Me 262's

This Steven Spielberg movie should be pretty interesting given his attention to detail. He did a good job with Saving Private Ryan I thought but again, a movie about a ground assault has to be much easier to make.

At any rate, it has P51's, bombers, BF109,s, etc. How could you not want to watch this no matter how Hollywood it might seem? 8)

and here are a couple of interesting real life accounts of P-51 Mustangs engaging Me 262's

Yep I've seen that documentary before. I think it is very good and does a great job of telling the real story, with the real pilots that were there.

Just seeing that trailer for this film and the way they showed the dog fight was not as believable as for example the way the events were portrayed on the History Channel.

World War 2 has been well documented and Saving Private Ryan was a fictionalised series of events. They have already said that this film is based on real events however this film is about a real fighting squadron. I would rather know the story from the pilots that were their then Stephen Spielberg’s portrayal of history is all.

I will still go and see it but my views of Hollywood is that the screenplay is sensationalized with entertainment in mind and that trumps the true historical story. My grandfather fought in that war as a Spitfire Pilot and I would rather his history preserved then sensationalized. I am sure some of the families of many of those Tuskeegee pilots may feel the same way as well.

But that's Hollywood for ya....

Guest Dontay

I will still go and see it but my views of Hollywood is that the screenplay is sensationalized with entertainment in mind and that trumps the true historical story. My grandfather fought in that war as a Spitfire Pilot and I would rather his history preserved then sensationalized. I am sure some of the families of many of those Tuskeegee pilots may feel the same way as well.

But that's Hollywood for ya....

Have to agree with you there Matt. Red Tails Black Wings written by John B. Holway is a pretty good read if your looking for the story from the pilots perspective. :)

Archived