Define: ALA

Divot

I learned it as Aeroplane Landing Area for my exams.

Loosely defined an ALA is "an area suitable for use by an aircraft operations other than those public aerodromes listed in ERSA"

Generally, the use of an ALA is not recommended for aircraft with an MTOW greater than 5700kg and also restricted to aircraft operations other than RPT (Regular Public Transport) flights.

ERSA = Enroute Supplement Australia (an operational document used by Australian pilots)

See also CAAP92(1)-1 CASA Civil Aviation Advisory Publication for guidelines re ALAs. You can view this in .pdf form at: http://www.casa.gov.au/download/caaps/ops/92_1.pdf

Hope that helps. This stuff is pretty nebulous though so I'm sure that more interpretations exist. If anyone has a better answer please post.

According to CASA Visual Flight Rules guide Version 2 July 2007 the abbreviation ALA means "Aircraft Landing Area for the purpose of CAR 92(1)(d)". Don't know what the CAR 92(1)(d) means though.

That's the same definition as given in the current AIP (Aeronautical Information Publication) in Gen2.2 (the "Abbreviations" section)

Quote from CAR 92(1):

92 Use of aerodromes

(1) A person must not land an aircraft on, or engage in conduct that causes

an aircraft to take off from, a place that does not satisfy one or more of

the following requirements:

(a) the place is an aerodrome established under the Air Navigation

Regulations;

(B) the use of the place as an aerodrome is authorised by a certificate

granted, or registration, under Part 139 of CASR;

© the place is an aerodrome for which an arrangement under section

20 of the Act is in force and the use of the aerodrome by aircraft

engaged in civil air navigation is authorised by CASA under that

section;

(d) the place (not being a place referred to in paragraph (a), (B) or

©) is suitable for use as an aerodrome for the purposes of the

landing and taking-off of aircraft;

and, having regard to all the circumstances of the proposed landing or

take-off (including the prevailing weather conditions), the aircraft can

land at, or take-off from, the place in safety.

Penalty: 25 penalty units.

So I guess that the AIP supercedes the CAAP (which was published 1992)

Aircraft Landing Area it is!!!  ;D

Don't you just love airlaw!?!!

According to CASA Visual Flight Rules guide Version 2 July 2007 the abbreviation ALA means "Aircraft Landing Area for the purpose of CAR 92(1)(d)". Don't know what the CAR 92(1)(d) means though.

That's the same definition as given in the current AIP (Aeronautical Information Publication) in Gen2.2 (the "Abbreviations" section)

Quote from CAR 92(1):

(snip)

Aircraft Landing Area it is!!!  ;D

Don't you just love airlaw!?!!

Yikes!  :o  Didn't think it would get this technical!!!!!  :o;D

Ha Ha, some good answers, i work in a field ( ;)) very related to this kind of subject and i can tell you you have just scrached the surface!

I have asked a few CASA aerodrome inspectors regarding this issue for clarifaction purposes and even they need to see all the documentation and consult within themselves.

In a nut shell its anything Non-RPT, no Nav aids or services such as ATC,Avn Fire & Rescue or any Security fencing etc and VFR only, usealy day only as well. The 'A' basicaly means that the info is published in the ERSA and so long as the owner of the ALA has keept the place as advertised then for the pilot its 'Buyer beware' when you commence your approach.

Simple? - Not. IMHO the FAA has a much better system.

Archived