Installation problem - location of scenery.cfg

Siggy

Just tried installing YCNK on my new machine. Windows 7 and FSX are on SSDs. I have %programdata% on a conventional harddisk, which works, except when I installed a few of my Aerosoft things today. They have the %programdata% path hard-coded to c:\programdata, so I created c:\programdata\microsoft\fsx for their installers and copied scenery.cfg there to copy it back after installation.

My first installs of ORBX products went fine, that was before I started with the Aerosoft batch. When I later went installing YCNK, the ORBX installer found the c:\programdata\microsoft\fsx\scenery.cfg and updated it instead of where %programdata% points to. So now when I add my ORBX products I will rename the c:\programdata\microsoft\FSX directory to 'FSY' :-), and when I need to install some Aerosoft stuff, it'll be renamed back.

Wouldn't it be better if the ORBX installer tried the %programdata% path first before attempting the hard-coded c:\... path ?

Cheers,

Siggy

Hi

How do you "reprogram" FSX NOT to search for the scenery.cfg file in the

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX library?

Also, I have made some tests with SSD discs and have NOT had any increase in fps when I have put sceneries on that disk, compared to a normal harddisk.

As I understand, an SSD disk reads/writes data very fast, BUT the reading time is NOT the problem for FSX. Tests made by a lot of people and published on the net shows a much faster loading time for FSX yes, but NO increased fps what so ever. Also an SSD disc gets "worn out" after about 3000-10000 read/writings and that means the disc is not uasble after 2-3 years of "normal" FSX use. That's why big enterprises DON'T use SSD discs as they would be worthless after a few months.

Please enlighten me WHY you want the solution you have described. I might have missunderstood everything and in that case, let me know if I'm totally wrong, it has happend once before (Swedish humor) :D;)

Jack

the Swede in Spain

FSX asks Windows where the machine has its ProgramData folder tree. Programs should not hard-code these paths.

The SSD helps FSX to quickly load textures, avoid stutters, faster startup times. The FPS won't increase, I agree. With an SSD you don't have to defrag. The wearing out only happens when writing. There shouldn't be too much writing with FSX, most if not all files that are written to should be under the respective user profile directory, which for me is on the harddisk.

Cheers,

Siggy

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Think I understand what you mean now, but still...... as the dumb Swede I am, I can't figure out the point of moving the ProgramData folder. Does ALL programs find a changed path by checkin the registry, or.....

As I recently have reinstalled my machine I had NO choice for where to place that libray, it was done by WIN7. No, this puzzles me.

Cheers

Jack

Hi,

The reason for moving ProgramData was that I had a look at what is in there on another machine. E.g. the daily virus scanner updates go there. Just didn't want too much writing to the SSD. The way to move this, or one way and it's the one I chose, and it worked, is using a file called 'unattend.xml' during installation (do a web search for Windows 7 unattend.xml). This moved the \users and \ProgramData directory trees to my conventional hard disk.

One would hope that the next Windows would offer splitting the O/S and the data auto of the box.

Programs should obtain the respective path on the machine by asking the O/S, but some hard-code this unfortunately.

Cheers,

Siggy

You have a bit of humour :-), you could almost be an Aussie :-). If you were here you might like visiting these here: http://www.missmaud.com.au/ I sometimes buy some 'Danish'es (yes, from a Swedish place) when I am in Perth.

"tak se mücke" (not spelled correctly, I am sure), that's all Swedish that I know and a fin :-) taught me it.

Cheers,

Siggy

Archived