Australian AFCADs (or whatever they should e called for FSX)

Holy Cheese

With the imminent release of Mal's incredible AI traffic package for Australia, I am wondering about the interplay between FTX, the freeware airports and other 3rd party AFCADs.

Until I installed the first freeware airports pack, I had a large number of AFCADs by a chap called Kym Burton installed for Australia. I have no idea how accurate these are, not being an Aussie, but, together with the HTAI payware Cessna pack and various GA packs from WOAI, they certainly did help to populate the skies with light aircraft.

However, on the release of the first freeware airports pack, I removed all Kym Burton's AFCADs so as not to cause any potential conflict with the airport sceneries.

Does anybody know if putting these back in (obviously leaving out the ones for any of the freeware airports) will cause any conflicts?

Cheers

Jack

Only put in ones that won't duplicate the airfields in the manual and you should be okay.  We call them AFX's if you want to find the files but most of the small fields don't have them.  You still won't want to duplicate the AFCADless fields as the photoreal bases won't match up/register with the AFX info.

You may get enthused to edit your favourites to match the freeware airports.

A word on AFCAD/AFX, though.  These were deliberately omitted from a great many fields in the FTX freeware, and now OZX pack because they have an inherent flattening effect on the terrain at the airfield.

If you would like traffic that will land and park, then they are a necessity - but the flatten is the major reason they aren't built into the photoreal fields.

Thanks Ian. I already have Airport design Editor on my PC but have never really taken the time yet to do any editing with it.

I suppose what was at the back of my mind is the assumption (as mentioned, I'm not an Aussie so I don't know) that some of the smaller regional airlines in the pack will be visiting smaller destinations. guess I'll wait till the AI pack comes out and have a look at the airports.txt files and see what is needed.

Cheers

Jack

Archived