CH Rudder Pedals

mmglads

Anyone have any problems with the CH Rudder pedals? I have a set, but scarcely use them as I can't calibrate them to centre.  :( They are so far off that even playing with the rudder centering in FSX doesn't work. Am reluctant to take them to bits, but am about to as all else has failed. Can't find anything on the CH forums, so it might just be a bad bit of hardware. Funnily enough, I've had them for 7 years - I bought them in the UK just prior to moving to OZ, they worked fine initially, perhaps they're having a hard time adjusting to being upside-down lol!  ;) Haven't used them for ages, as the Logitech joysticks I have use a twist grip - but it would be nice...any help appreciated.

I haven't had any problems with mine (they are only a year old though). The CH pedals are analog though, so like any other analog joystick, can wear out.

I should probably ask just to make sure, but are you sure that what you are seeing isn't slipstream/torque effect if its a single engine aircraft (ie, tendency to roll to the left). Sorry, gotta ask those things :P

And are you using CH's utility to configure them? When I did, I had problems, I just use the standard windows drivers and none of that CH driver BS, and they work fine.

They do reckon they should last 1,000,000 (10mil) cycles though (or something like that) on the box. 7 Years is a long time though for them to be sitting around, especially if they were stored incorrectly.

Doubt this helped...

I have used CH Rudder Pedals from the day they came out, the only problem was a random full deflection to port or starboard after the pedals had been in use for periods between 30 and 60 mins. The solution was to disconnect and then reconnect the USB cable at the computer. This has resulted in quite a number of B****Y flight movements not condusive to safe flight. I do think it could well be a USB indused effect Calibration after plug removal returns a stable system regards Bluebird

AU BLUE 3891

AU GOLD 7205

Mine are so old I can't even remember when or where I got them, and they still work like new.  If they're bugging out you could try replacing the pots, but the problem could be in the USB interface too.  If mine ever go the same way, my response will probably be: 1) replace the pots, 2) either buy saitek or build new ones from scratch.  MikesFlightDeck has some good info on the latter option.

Just unplug the from the USB, plug em back in an just tune the brakes and the rudder through the settings in the nulls & sensitivity's in FSX....worked for me as soon as i tried to calibrate them outside of the game they would just go haywire. Hope it is of some help.

Thanks guys! As it's a beautiful Saturday morning here, I'm off to Byron Bay to whale watch (tough, but someone has to do it!) Then tonight I'm going to take the pedals to bits - I've had a quick peek - lots of springs 'n things, but I did buy spare pots when I was still in the UK (they're the same as in the Yoke) & I'll try that first. Tried all of your other suggestions, sadly to no avail. I'll report back when rebuilt, thanks muchly again, cheers, Malcolm.

OK - they're in bits - the wiring looks horrendously fragile, :( once I find a wiring diagram (can't get hold of one at present - any ideas anyone?  ??? ) then I'm off to my local Dick Smith to buy some slightly more robust stuff - without restricting movement. I've tested the pot with a meter & it seems fine, & shows it is centering correctly. The soldering looks very "amateurish" (sorry CH) & I've decided to clean the whole lot up & rebuild. If that doesn't work, it's the USB interface, the pedals will then go in the bin & I'll get some Saitek ones as suggested. I'm taking photos so I don't forget where things go, but yes, the springs went everywhere when I opened the pedals up - lots of screws! More later in the week...

Archived